Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Joe Albero Blows The Roof Off The Delmar & Fruitland Fire Department

Last night I received a call asking if there was any way possible I could get over to the Delmar Fire Department with my snow blower. Folks, Delmar had snowflakes 3/4 of an inch big last night and it was coming down in ice form, not soft flakes.

Because of the heavy snow, freezing rain and water on the roof of the Firehouse, the roof was showing signs of stress and they needed the snow removed immediately.

The Delmar Fire Department came to my home and picked me up, along with my snow blower. We arrived and quickly loaded the snow blower, (along with a few others) onto the Ladder Truck and raised them to the roof.

We spent a couple hours throwing snow off the roof and another call for help came in needing assistance at the Fruitland Fire Department with the same issues.

The Chief asked if I'd be willing to head over to Fruitland and since we had thrown most of the snow off Delmar's roof, I agreed and the Fire Chief from Fruitland came over and picked me up.

Within two hours we had the roof completely cleared off in Fruitland and they too were safe from any structural damage. The conditions in Fruitland was very different. Mostly rain mixed with a few flakes but it amazed me the difference withing such a close radius.

I have determined exactly why Firefighters live a shorter life than you and I. It's because of all the good food these guys eat. Fresh coffee, incredible donuts, dumplings, oyster fritters, you name it, these guys just eat far too well. LOL

Wayne Barrell took some photos last night and said he'd forward them over to me to Post. While this wasn't something I had planned on my evening schedule, it was an absolute pleasure working with all of these Firefighters in an attempt to secure their second homes. The snow was very wet and heavy and doing a job like this by hand would have taken 20 hours, far more donuts and without a doubt 10 times the coffee.

I returned home around midnight last night and had no problem whatsoever sliding into bed and falling asleep within seconds.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joe for all you do . Honestly we were wondering . No posts after 7:00 pm .

Anonymous said...

I saw you up on tower 81 last night. I was going to take a picture of you but some people feel you are not a friend of the fire dept. I don't know what they are talking about. You have been there for them time and time again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe & all the other people out there helping each other out! Many thanks to the Fire Depts too--I feel much better knowing that Delmar is safer now. How are the Delmar school roofs looking? I wish I had a snowblower to help out!

Anonymous said...

I don't normally agree with much you do or say Joe but I do like to give credit where credit is due. Kudos.

Anonymous said...

The feeling you get when you help someone out is the reason we have volunteers in a fire department. My hat is tipped to all these men and women. They have been busting their butts in these conditions!

Tidewaterbound said...

Keep safe Joe, and thank you for all you do.

Anonymous said...

Joe, you're awesome. We need more people out there like you to give back to the community. Thank you for everything you do, from delivering the latest news, to "blowing snow"!

joealbero said...

anonymous 10:16, "blowing snow," eh? I think you knew I'd respond to that comment. LOL

Anonymous said...

One thing I can say about you, Joe, you never hesitate to help out when asked (and even when not asked). I don't always agree with you, but you have one of the biggest hearts I know. Thanks for helping out the fire departments and everyone else!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Joe!

Anonymous said...

You should run for county executive,cut the budget and get rid of the "dead wood".

KTS

Anonymous said...

Take your snowblower to the third floor of the Government Office Building. Bet yet, a welder.

EMT

Anonymous said...

Joe, it takes a big man to turn his cheek when he is being harrassed by others (certain fire personnel, government officials, and others). It takes an even BIGGER man to assist these samre people when they come crying to you for help. It's amazing how these people cam bad mouth you and put you down so much only to come crying to you EVERY time they need help. Again, thank you for what you do. You can call on me any time that you may need help. I will certainly drop what i'm doing to lend a hand.

Anonymous said...

That was a nice thing to do Joe,Most ppl in Delmar are like that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe for all your help!!! Wish my husband had a snow blower right now...He and several others are on top of the civic center roof shoveling snow as we speak. I hope they are all ok...this weather is not fit to be out in right now.

Anonymous said...

Great work Joe...you are smart enough to realize that not all firefighters as idiots like Gordo, See and Hoppes.

Anonymous said...

SBY news doing good in the world.

doug wilkerson said...

Looks like Stellas sister Bella decided to make an appearance.

Anonymous said...

First of all Joe, I love the title of this article. Second, we can't thank you enough for all that you have done for us. From the dirty dozen to the now thousands, you have proven to be the biggest asset the eastern shore has ever seen. You must be exhausted.

Anonymous said...

I bet he has more in him, metabolism you born with it or your not.

Anonymous said...

You can't keep a good man down.

Salisbury Gal said...

You don't have to post this Joe - just wanted to say, I commend you. As much as firefighters are there for the community, it's kind of neat that a "normal everyday Joe" (lol) is able to be there for them.

Anyhow, as always THANKS for all you do!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Joe!

Anonymous said...

Watch your back with Wayne. This story told me a lot about the kind of man he is. From here on out he better start watching his back.

Wayne Barrall / Delmar Fire Department said...

11:13? What are you trying to say?

I would like to thank Joe Albero for coming out to help us!

Joe and myself do not always agree on things but I knew that when I called Joe and asked him for help he would come to help.

I have moved on with my life and Joe has moved on with his. Some of you people need to move on with yours.

Anonymous said...

Sidewalks covered? Driveways covered in snow?

Help's on the way!
Just call Mr. Joe!

signed, one of your cheerleaders...lol

Anonymous said...

Help needed to clear roof of Laurel Fire Department. Delmar Fire Department members leaving shortly to assist.

Anonymous said...

Joe, thank God for people like you. If only we had more, this country would be so much better. I love this site.

Anonymous said...

Wayne, you are arrogant, a user, abuser, and back stabber. Not that I wish any ill will on anyone, I just believe that one of these days you are going to reap what you sew. I just pray that you will learn before something bad does happen.

Donna said...

Like I told you last night, you haven't made the big time until Salisbury Fire Dept calls you for help. We all know they would rather let the roof cave in than call and ask you for help.

Good job Albero.

Anonymous said...

I pray, yet you insult at the same time. Your an idiot.

Anonymous said...

Joe you are awesome! I like the idea of you running for county exec! You'd have our votes for sure!!!

Anonymous said...

Joe-you are the total person of what the Wicomico County Executive should be. Honest, Loyal, dependable, and so hard working. These actions speak volumes. What will it take for you to run for the executive position. How many signatures on a promise to vote for Joe petition?

Anonymous said...

And they say you don't like fire dept. people , shame on them!

farm boy said...

Kudo for your help. I am sure glad that you put some clothes on before you went up on the roof. LOL I saw your picture the other day with a shovel. It was not pretty..... ROTFLMAO

Anonymous said...

11;33 Hi wayne and Joe Its real simple Wayne and Joe dont get a long big woop. I dont get along with Joe also,But if Joe was in a ditch at 1 am I would pull him out.If his horse was loose I would walk him/her back.I would like to think joe would do the same for me.I think we all have been out helping were and when we can .Joe it was a nice thing you did.

good luk be safe

T.M.