As an independent journalist that publishes many articles for SBYnews - I will admit that there might be a slight bias toward Albero for Mayor. But when one closely examines the record of the current administration, one can only deduce that Joe Albero is the right man for this job. From my own personal experience in my daily interaction with him - his grasp of concepts and facts relative to our local economy is on target. He is keenly aware of all of the following:
- Salisbury & Wicomico County has experienced labor force losses in 7 of the last 11 months for a net loss of 1716 jobs - (unbiased reporting by the latest US Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- 17.7% of all Salisbury/Wicomico residents are considered to be living in Poverty. This is up from last years 16.6% - (reported by the US Census Bureau, Small Areas Estimates Branch as reported from their latest data)
- Average State & local income tax collections are down as a result of a sagging local economy. As of 2011 - the average State & local income tax was down to $2,220 per Maryland/Wicomico return verses $2,240 per 2010 income tax return.
- The number of local business closings are at an all time record high. As of to date - we have documented more than 88 renowned businesses that have decided to leave our area. Yet the government entities keep expanding. SBYnews has re-published this index many times for its readers.
- He has a clear vision and is focused. Like many well trained athletes - he is disciplined.
I say give this man the 'gavel' and let him go to work. The time is ripe for Joe Albero to become Salisbury's next Mayor. I encourage all - (rich, poor, black, white, male, female, or others, hispanic, asian, etc.) - to get out and vote for him.
(Freelance Journalist for SBYnews)