Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Another Direct TV Story

Hey Joe,

I too have had difficulties with Direct TV in the past. I started receiving bills in 2005 stating that I owed them $700 plus dollars for a bill. I had always had Comcast and never had Direct TV. I called them numerous times and told them this was the case and they just told me they would look in to it and never called me back. I continued getting the bills and letters and I continued calling to let them know that this was not my debt. I eventually started receiving harassing phone calls about 3 times a day from them stating I needed to pay now or they were going to turn it over to collections, their employees were very rude to me when I tried to tell them that I never had Direct TV. This continued until earlier this year when I received yet another bill and I wrote in to them stating that I had never had the service I asked them to tell me where the service was hooked up because I knew it wouldn’t be at my house. After about 3 months I received a letter from them saying that they investigated it and that the debt could not be linked back to me and that they were sorry for any inconvenience. Meanwhile they had turned the debt over to collections and I had that going against my otherwise perfect credit. I just wonder how it is possible that they can get away with charging people for debts that aren’t even theirs and then diminish their credit by turning these claims over to collection agency’s without even investigating them first especially when the person has called numerous times telling them that their must be a mistake.

Just wanted to add my experience. Thanks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a neighbor that just built a house and got DIRECTV. the installer came for the install and asked to use her cell phone to call DIRECTV to finish the install, because he didn't have a cell. She complied and he was on the phone for an hour burning her minutes. As he walked out the door his cell phone rang and he answered it like nothing was wrong with what he did. What an A$$hole.

Anonymous said...

There should be some mechanism that requires confirmation that a person owes a debt before it is added to the credit report. I had something on one of my reports- found it when we were in the process of buying a house. It was for a credit card I never had for a store not even around here. The account was reported as current or in good standing- but it's scary that it ended up there. I disputed the info, and it was removed, but it still took time. Not to mention that I bet it would have been different if it was a negative report- I bet it would have taken longer. I don't doubt that there are vigilante debt collectors out there- and I bet the situation will continue to get worse as the economy continues to struggle.

Richard said...

Someone like yourself needs to make them accountable for their actions. If enough people sue them for defamation they might have to think twice before being so aggressive. I would think your credit rating would be at least a $250,000 law suit right off the bat. When it's cut and dry like your case, they would have to pay out which in turn is what pulls on the reins of these aggressive account reps. I've seen Judges wipe clean debts because collectors crossed the line with aggressiveness.

Anonymous said...

Dont ever pay your bill over the phone w/ a credit or debit card. They hold the information & they will bill your card if you have a blanace on your account. They claim it is in their disclaimer "they hold the right b/c you willingly gave them the information". Someone put unauthorized chargers on my account & b/c I paid my bill in the past over the phone w/ a card they billed me w/o my permission. Needless to say I no longer have service w/ them A$$ holes!

Anonymous said...

another plus for dishnetwork
they do not retain any cc info, unless you do autopay

you have to enter it each time you pay

Anonymous said...

sue them, or shut up!!