Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 05, 2016

Crowdfunded classrooms: Teachers increasingly solicit online

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Paper? Pencils? Laptops? Robots? Teachers are increasingly relying on crowdfunding efforts to stock their classrooms with both the mundane and sometimes big-ticket items.

Contributions to education campaigns have climbed on GoFundMe and DonorsChoose, collectively, from just more than $31.2 million in 2010 to nearly $140 million in 2015, the do-it-yourself fundraising sites report. Both sites are on pace to eclipse that in 2016.

GoFundMe has collected $58 million in just the last 12 months, and DonorsChoose saw more than 50,000 campaigns live on the site for the first time this back-to-school season.

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why can't some kids have the opportunity to learn from home? Maybe come to class once or twice a week and do the rest st home to free up space and resources.

Anonymous said...

With all of the money poured into education this should not be happening. Also, my sister lived in Baltimore city and her school supply list was huge. Moved to Howard county last year she was shocked at how small the list was. In the city she was basically funding the other kids.

Brenda said...

The cops arrested me for Soliciting in front of the 7-11.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, I respect all teachers but this woe is me crap has to stop! I help out when I can in my children's school, I give them tissues, baggies, glue sticks etc. I find it funny how children now "deserve" certain items? Ipads/Ipods, seriously?
Do these counties not have property taxes?