Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Laid Off Co-Worker is Better Off Unemployed Than Working - 99 Weeks Off, Same Income!

I bumped into an old co-worker at the gym.  We used to be shift supervisors together back in the day.  Our professional paths meandered in different directions over the years but we’ve always kept in touch.  It turns out, he was just let go and after expressing my concern, he actually joked,I’m better off actually. You’d never believe it but the difference between me working and being on unemployment for the next 2 years is like $100 a month.  Why should I bother?”  He was pretty candid and admitted, “I never thought I’d be ‘that guy‘ taking advantage of the system, but seriously, who the hell’s going to work 40 hours a week for 25 bucks?”

More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

article states unemployment pays 2200 a month?
in md its 60% of pay with max of 380 a week
barely min wage

Anonymous said...

Depends on the state. I know someone from PA that gets $1170 every two weeks in UC.

Anonymous said...

max in md. is 420per wk without taxes being withheld.

Anonymous said...

If you're out of work for 99 weeks you are pretty much ruined as a self sufficient person.

Anonymous said...

how many MILLIONS are ruined?

Anonymous said...

4:26 How so?

Anonymous said...

$430 per week. I made my first claim Sunday.

Anonymous said...

where can i sign up???

Anonymous said...

Anybody can sign up for unemployment,it
doesn't mean they will be approved.
But anyone can sign up.

Anonymous said...

You have a better chance of getting it if you are black and if you "job hop".