Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Millions To Lose Unemployment Benefits If Congress Doesn't Act

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Millions of unemployed Americans are waiting for Congress to do something other than trade barbs over their job creation plans.

If lawmakers don't act soon, the jobless see their unemployment checks start to disappear come January.

More than 6 million Americans are set to lose federal unemployment benefits in 2012, with 1.8 million running out in January alone, according to new figures from the National Employment Law Project.

President Obama's $447 billion American Jobs Act would extend the deadline to file for federal unemployment benefits for another year. Though the Senate is expected to take up the controversial jobs bill on Tuesday, it's unlikely to get very far.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good its time to stop the extensions

Anonymous said...

I agree 3:52

Anonymous said...

One of the few with a job speaks.

Anonymous said...

Get and look for a job the Government owes us nothing.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Even though I know how hard it is to find a job right now. But why should people get extensions and keep sucking the government dry because of a hard time. Lower your standards and suck up your pride and take a job that will still pay the bills. Along with that the corporations are hiring but they have their standards way to high on the positions they want to fill. It's like companies don't want to take the time to train their employee's anymore. Thats how you get good employee's. If you look on job boards there are all kinds of jobs. It just takes both side to fill those and change things around.

Anonymous said...

It's about time for the Feds to cut them off.

99 weeks is way to long for the average Joe Blow to find a job. I say cut them all off ASAP.

The sooner we cut them off the better off America will be.

Anonymous said...

I hope you can still say that when you become unemployed.

Anonymous said...

We have had good jobs through the years, but in times of a layoff I took a job at McDonalds (twice) to get us through, imagine that even with a decent education. Now things are different, there is not even McDonalds available to a 60 year old. Tried everywhere, Walmart, Dollar Store, Mall, and still unemployed for a year and half. Walk a mile in those shoes before you agree 99 weeks is living off the fat of the government.

Anonymous said...

The only ones who complain about this are the employed! You people have no idea what it's like for someone over the age of 50 to be unemployed. Keep on spouting your venom - Karma is a bitch! Unemployment could land on your doorstep. It did mine.

CR said...

I had to accept a job of lower salary and part time to boot. They will not pay me Unemployment for the 4 months I don't have work. But I am getting by and paying my bills. I did not let my pride and ego dictate my life.
Those on Unemployment for over 6 months need to be refused checks. Those on Unempolment for 1 yr or more should be denied benefits for that long before eligible to draw Unemployment benifits again.
GET OFF YOUR LAZY MOOCHING A$$ and take a job whether you like it or not. I don't like paying your internet bill so you can post comments trying to get simpathy.
I can say this cause I have been without money and took what was availible no matter if I liked it or not.
CR

Anonymous said...

You people just fail to realize that nothing is available. You live in dream worlds.