Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Should Companies Use Credit Checks to Screen Job Applicants?

It is a harsh catch-22, particularly in today's moribund economy: many companies routinely rule out job applicants who fail a credit check. That means that unemployed people who can't pay their bills may actually be too poor to get a job.


Critics, from labor unions and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to advocates for the unemployed, say the use of credit checks makes it hard for people who are struggling to turn their lives around and that it should be treated as discrimination. They have been pushing for state laws and federal policies to bar pre-employment credit checks; this week they scored their biggest victory yet when California enacted a law restricting the use of credit reports in hiring.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO. As far as I'm concerned, my credit report or score is MY business. A few years ago a prospective employeer wanted me to sign a consent to check my creditI said NO & left the interview.

Anonymous said...

yes. Credit history shows how people handle money.

Joseph Albero said...

anonymous 2:49, FUNNY, it didn't seem to matter when you were voting for Bubba and Shanie.

Flerndip said...

2:49 What does my credit rating have to do with how hard of a worker I am? Ive declared bankruptcy back in the 90's but I have busted my ass for every employer I have worked for.