Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Comment Worthy Of A Post

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Is Bigger Better?":

"Joe, you are so clueless about the Brotherhood of the Fire Service. First of all, it may be a cliche, but it's the truth when I say that to understand the brotherhood of the career fire service, you have to be a career firefighter. I have a story for you involving my own wife, which coincidentally also involves the firefighters of FDNY Rescue Company 3, in The Bronx..They are located on 176th street between Park and Washington Avenues. About 4 years ago, my wife was traveling to Ct. to attend the funeral of a friend who had passed suddenly. Just before the 3rd Avenue exit on the Cross Bronx, her alternator light came on. Luckily she made it to the exit and had enough to get to the end of the ramp when the car quit. I am sure you know, that is not a great place to break down, especially for a white woman in her 20's. In the middle of making phone calls, not knowing what to do (I was away on travel at the time and unavailable) and when she was just about to start crying, along come the on-duty members of Rescue 3. They saw the IAFF decal and the license plate, and her 4-ways on.....They found out what was going on, got her back to their firehouse, got an alternator for her car from a parts shop, installed it themselves, fed her, and sent her on her way. Thats my own experience on the receipt end.

I have also heard many many times over, of firefighters from all over the United States, bringing their children to Baltimore or Philadelphia for medical care at Hopkins or CHOP.....And the families being taken in by host firefighter's families. Complete strangers, bounded by the Maltese Cross, sworn to protect complete strangers, even ones as ignorant as yourself. Granted, the members of the SFD have a history of not making the wisest choices in the world, but you don't have to group the rest of us in with them.

There is a difference between our brotherhood, and your brotherhood. I don't pretend to know anything about yours, return the favor and don't pretend to know about ours.

(When was the last time you saw the funeral of a dead online newspaper editor get 10,000 people at his funeral?) "

My Reply:

Need I say more about my earlier Post. Of course you heard stories about other Fire departments fulfilling a Brotherhood, especially in New York. It's all about the Salisbury Fire Department, LOOK AT MEEEEEE. I am happy to hear your Wife was conforted and secured by such fine men and women.

I have many Family Members who are and have been a part of the NYFD and I would never expect any less from any one of them. I also noticed how you only mention career firefighters and mention nothing about volunteers. Again, this clearly proves you know absolutely nothing about Brotherhood.

You said, "Granted, the members of the SFD have a history of not making the wisest choices in the world, but you don't have to group the rest of us in with them." Well, you're right about that one. It's a shame your old Fire Chief would hire criminals. If you know me at all, I did not make my earlier statement in my Post pointing a finger at the entire SFD. I know many good men and women who serve for the right reasons but I also know many who purposely make sure sprinkler systems are not forced down the Council's throats because they save lives and property.

All too many of you want to fight fires, you know, reactive instead of proactive. Look at the building in Ocean City the other day. Saved by the sprinkler system. Nevertheless, thanks for your comment. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will comment away at it.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, I should have clarified some matters.

1. I am not a member of the SFD.

2. I can not comment on the brotherhood of the volunteer fire service, as I have never been a volunteer. The agency that I work for is %100 career; I simply have never worked with any volunteers to be able to comment. I will say that I don't buy into the use of the work "professional" in place of "career" as I do know some volunteer FF's that are clearly more professional than some career firefighters that I know.

3. Learn a little more about how building codes are conceived, researched, developed, introduced into legislation, fought over by builder's advocacy groups (The National Association of Home Builders is fighting current attempts to include sprinklers in all new residential construction effective 2012) and (possibly) adopted by law or ordinance....and usually not after being red-marked by legislators....Go to this website: www.iccsafe.org I am pretty sure building codes are a statewide mandate in Maryland.

Anonymous said...

Joe sucks

Anonymous said...

Joe any idea who this "better than thou" turd is" Heck I would even like to know where he is a "career" farmin?

Anonymous said...

"(When was the last time you saw the funeral of a dead online newspaper editor get 10,000 people at his funeral?)"

WTF!! Am I supposed to be impressed? This pu$$y and many other firemen like him are living in fantasy land. Who gives a flying #### how many people attend your funeral! Did the deceased firefighter know 10,000 people? I highly doubt it. It goes to show you that many people like this bozo join the fire service just to die and have a big funeral. I can tell you one thing about this guy... he is dangerous and he is going to get someone hurt one day. What a bunch of losers.

SFD Shawn Hobson said...

Hey Joe, nobody in your family is in a fire department, especially from the mold you're cut from. You're a pussy through and through. The only thing strong about you is the nasty odor of Sheriff Lewis' balls on your mouth and that stinking cigar.

I hope the rest of your family goes the way of your mom. I hope it's tragic, I hope it's painful.

Anonymous said...

It's known as the FDNY, not the NYFD.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

It's known as the FDNY, not the NYFD.

9:01 PM

BFD, who cares what it is affectionately know as!!

Anonymous said...

SFD Shawn Hobson said...

I doubt seriously this is a real name in the SFD, but I truly believe it is someone within the ranks of the SFD.

Mayor Ireton you really need to make the right decision and put the right people in leadership positions. What you have now is bringing the SFD down.

Anonymous said...

I bet Gordo, Hoppes or JT had something to do with these negative posts.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous 8:14, clearly you failed "Reading for Comprehension" when you were in school. The point of my statement regarding "10,000 people at a funeral" was to show Joe that the Brotherhood of firefighters is so strong that many, many firefighters will attend a line of duty death funeral to show respect because of the *brotherhood.* As a supervisory-level firefighter,(a rank which I achieved by taking and passing a very difficult promotional exam) I take the safety of my crew very seriously, and do the best that I can to ensure that everyone goes home at the end of their shift.

Now, as you obviously possess a far greater understanding of english comprehension than I do, please, explain for us laypersons where I erred in my grammar, and led you into thinking that I am "dangerous" and that "I am going to get someone hurt" someday?

Anonymous said...

Anon 10:06 PM why don't you sign your name and let everyone know who you are? What are you afraid of?

Anonymous said...

"As a supervisory-level firefighter,(a rank which I achieved by taking and passing a very difficult promotional exam)"

Is anyone else impressed? LMAO

I think this turd is in love with himself!

Anonymous said...

Obviously this person is well educated and well aware of the fire service. Some of you people will do anything to discredit a fire service member just because they might be smarter then you and they obviously make a good point in their posts. How in the hell would you call this person dangerous when you have no idea who he is or anything about him. He makes excellent points and that makes him dangerous I guess just because you don't agree.

9:38 the BFD is that the name is FDNY not NYFD and that is not what it is affectionately known as that is the offical name Fire Dept. of New York and if someone spelled a word wrong on here you would be the first one to call them an uneducated idiot and ask them where they learned to spell or their education level that is the BFD.

Anonymous said...

Joe, every since you come back from da perfect Bronx, your view of Salisbury's Police Dept, Fire Dept and Salisbury in general has been worse than ever. I cannot imagine why you would want your wife and grandson to live in such a vile area. Why not move back to da Bronx so you can live in a safe haven once more.

Anonymous said...

oh I get it now If you are fireman you are a bad azz better than anyone else just because you have a dangerous job. Its a job you took the job because .... it makes you feel better than anyone else How about you learn you job to be able to do it the best you can and stop worrying about how bad azz you think it makes you

Anonymous said...

10:47 GO BACK TO SCHOOL

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Obviously this person is well educated and well aware of the fire service. Some of you people will do anything to discredit a fire service member just because they might be smarter then you and they obviously make a good point in their posts. How in the hell would you call this person dangerous when you have no idea who he is or anything about him. He makes excellent points and that makes him dangerous I guess just because you don't agree.

9:38 the BFD is that the name is FDNY not NYFD and that is not what it is affectionately known as that is the offical name Fire Dept. of New York and if someone spelled a word wrong on here you would be the first one to call them an uneducated idiot and ask them where they learned to spell or their education level that is the BFD.

6:47 AM

In case anyone hasn't noticed this is the original poster that keeps patting himself on the back. Most of these atta boy posts are from him.

7:23 PM, 7:58 PM, 9:01 PM, 10:06 PM, 6:47 AM, 1:16 PM, all of these posts are obviously from the same person.

Sign your name so everyone knows who you are for credibility or get a life.

Anonymous said...

@ 8:27pm SFD Shawn Hobson said...

"I hope the rest of your family goes the way of your mom. I hope it's tragic, I hope it's painful".


To which I reply: WTF is wrong with you??? What goes around comes around little man, it's called karma. What ill fate you wish on others to boost your ego will only come back to haunt you in ways you couldn't possibly imagine. I feel pity for you.

Stefani Green