Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

THE FINAL INSPECTION


The Marine stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

'Step forward now, Marine,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear...
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the Marine waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

'Step forward now, you Marine,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell.'

Author Unknown

It's the Soldier, not the reporter Who has given us the freedom of the press.


It's the Soldier, not the poet, Who has given us the freedom of speech.

It's the Soldier, not the politicians That ensures our right to Life,

Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness..


It's the Soldier who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,

And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this.

Master Gunnery Sergeant, US Marine Corps - retired

Anonymous said...

Amen

xploded said...

A great post. Thank You for posting and a special thank you to all those who serve or have served!!!

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Please don't post any comments which are critical of our soldier's decision to kill Muslims in the name of Jesus Christ.

The people who such things don't understand Islam.

We must not offend the feelings of those of us who have lost a loved one dying for the war of terror.

If the Muslims don't deserve to die quickly, then none of us do.

Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out.

Anonymous said...

This bs will stop when we kill enough of them!
unleash the hounds!
semper fi!

Anonymous said...

11:16 and 11:56 you're idiots and I feel sorry for your kids if that is what you teach them.

Anonymous said...

Thank you to all our soldiers. The true americans as I like to call them. No matter how corrupt the government is they still fight for our freedom every day. I think they deserve more thanks than they get.

Anonymous said...

And of course we always have the person quick to critisize come on here and say something ignorant. This is what we have to live with now. But just a quick word about the comment. Your kids probably resort to calling mommy when in a tough situation. In this day and age our boys have to be brought up tough because its a tough world out there now.

Anonymous said...

1:38
You are what we call chicken $hit.
The only reason you can comment is because we have defended your sorry a$$.

Anonymous said...

one of the most humbling photos I have ever seen. to join him would be an honor."only from my cold ,stiff , hands !!"WHAT IS FREEDOM WORTH TO YOU , for me everything , every day , ALL IN !!!

Anonymous said...

Someone should send this to the President and Congress! Thank you all the solders!

Anonymous said...

11:16....So the answer is just to kill all muslims? Kill 1/4 of the world's population, roughly 1.75 billion people who have never done anything wrong in their life, just because they aren't Christian and have been poorly misrepresented by a few radical crazies? Dude, you are nuts.

Modern history did not begin on 10 November, 1775 at Tun Tavern. In the middle ages, christians like Richard the lionheart and king philip stormed across Europe killing everyone who wasn't christian. What makes them better than muslims?

Rob S

Daddio said...

To determine who is licensed or not, Click here for the MD website.