Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Annapolis homicide rates soar

ANNPOLIS, Md. —Annapolis is now grappling with a dubious distinction: 2016 has marked the most homicides in the city's history.

There have been nine homicides in one year. It's the most homicides recorded in Annapolis since the city started keeping records.

The soaring murder stats have some residents calling for action, and that includes Annapolis Mayor Mike Pantelides.

"I'm pissed off about this. I'm upset that murders are up, even though crime is down overall. We have to do a better job going forward," Pantelides said.

According to police Chief Michael Pristoop, the homicide spike is being driven by a complicated combination of factors, including heroin.

Annapolis has seen eight fatal overdoses so far this year compared to none the year before. There were also 45 nonfatal overdoses -- a 250 percent jump year-to-year.

In an open letter on Facebook, Pristoop also blamed the Housing Authority of the City of Annapolis.

"Unfortunately, much of our violent crime is centered in and around HACA properties. (They've) become offender magnets due to HACA's refusal to enforce banning and other internal rules that affect security. (The) banning policy is not only unenforced, it is feckless."

More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh go figure low income housing contributing to the crime problem!. No eay, Who would have thought. Oh thats right democrats dont think!!! You hearing this salisbury council???take heed

Anonymous said...

There are some very scary parts of Annapolis. Mainly the low income housing areas where drugs are dealt in the open in broad daylight.

Anonymous said...

Ever notice the most snooty Liberals live in predominately white areas. When O ran for President the first time I had the pleasure to travel the North East. I am talking New England and New Hampshire,Maine and Connecticut. I never saw so many O signs. I was amazed that an 80-20 demographic at best more like 95-5. I never saw a Black person. When I met my family there I was quickly labeled a racist because I said O was not the man. I argued my point but they where having none. He was going to legalize weed, poor people would get a home and land to live on. They basically said whites are the problem in America. Then I realized half of them are on welfare and there is in no work in the Great White North.

I recently went back to visit I was amazed at what I learned. Most of the young men have armed themselves and claim the great race war is coming. They now do not want any section 8 housing around their historical homes lol. They are angry that blacks are complaining. I just could not wrap my mind around it. Was it Ferguson or Baltimore what caused this major spin ? What happened to the Great White North in last eight years.

Funny how one can judge when they never had the pleasure of low income housing next door. The reality is the majority just want to survive. Then there is the group that feel children are a commodity. The more kids the more benefits. The more lost children. Then you have the gangs who grab these latch key kids like they are building an army. The schools take the hit as well. Sad times in Annapolis,sad times in America.

Someone tell me what we are to do. If you speak out you are quickly labeled a racist. Anytime you point to the root causes of blight you are a racist. Why work when social benefits are better paying than being the manager at the local business. Something is broke !!!

Now we have democrats yelling bring us your poor, tired and hungry. WTF about the ones that are here. When will you address the mess you have made. Veterans living on street. Old folks can not buy their medicine so they do without. The middle class sliding farther behind the eight ball. Americans better wake up I do not see this crap in any Senator's neighborhood.

When did all this happen. I guess I was asleep at the wheel. The back bone of America better find its voice. All we hear from are the super rich and the poor. Middle America needs to vote this election or we are never going to stop this runaway train called liberalism.

Anonymous said...

Well said

Anonymous said...

return to public executions. and no waiting on death row for 20 years ...