Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Let's Be Real: Why Are Crabs So Popular Here?

If you've spent even one summer around here you already know that crabs are a huge major deal in this part of the world, but I'm still trying to figure out why.

The significant other and I rolled out to the local crab shack. Several crabs and 1 hour 15 minutes later on the way home, she's asking if we can stop for a burger and it hits me -- we didn't leave the crab joint 'cause she was full. Girlfriend was just tired. All that breaking and cracking and sucking ...and pulling...and no full stomach to show for it?

I don't get it. Never have. To me, a crab feast is like going to dinner with a tool box. At steak places it's "hope you brought your appetite." At the crab house you work up the appetite after you get there.

Afficionados tell me it's all about the meat. Really? Crab cakes have a lot more of it and here's the only tool you need.

So let's be real: if you're into crabs...and if you get all that out of it... I guess there's no reason we can't have a little Mickey D's on the way home.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, upon returning to Maryland, I asked an old friend if he wanted to go to AYCE crabs. He said that he doesn't do that anymore, when he's in the mood for crab he buys a pound of crab meat and eats it. I like cracking crabs, but I'm not willing to sell a kidney to do it. - David Hearne

LadyLiddy said...

Catching, cooking and eating crabs have been a family tradition for as far back as I can remember. I've passed it to my kids and they their kids. We get up early and are out on the water before most are out of bed. We crab for several hours to get our bushel. Steam them up when we get home and eat them with salads and corn on the cob. There's room for a good dessert afterwards. Now that's a family get together.

Anonymous said...

AYCE Crab Restaurants are as bad as it gets with all the fried food that comes with it. Very unhealthy but so is McDonalds! Also I can go to a fine dining restaurant cheaper than I can go to either AYCE crab joint.

Anonymous said...

you have to be patient
eat 2-3 dozen
if they bring you poor crabs, trash em
if they bring the other stuff(chicken, hush puppies, ect) put it right in the trash

sit back, spend a 2-3 hours and eat your fill

you can get full, it just takes time

Anonymous said...

Catch your own and get into the spirit. If you can't get full eating crabs then you don't know how to pick them. Steam some corn in with the crabs and you have a little extra something to nibble on.

Pragmatic said...

If you don't get full eating crabs, you are obviously doing it wrong!

Anonymous said...

Anon 10:57 People like you are the reason the price is $38.00 and why kids are starving all over the world. Makes me sick to throw out any food but you are ridulous.

Dixie said...

I too didn't care much for 10:57 Anon's comment.
If you don't want the "extras" and you're just going to throw them away, then tell them not to bring them to you.
I hope your child or grandchild is never in the situation of being truly hungry or starving. But if that ever happens, maybe you'll begin to regret your wasteful ways!

Anonymous said...

Some of us are just faster at picking crabs than the writer. They seem to assume most people don't/can't get full, but that's what it is: an assumption. That being said, the writer needs a good local as a friend to help them out. I pick for others when we eat crabs, it's the Delmarvalous thing to do.

Anonymous said...

Crabs have a lot of cholesterol. Care for some butter?