Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Calling A Foul On Foul Language

I can’t walk past the park on our corner with my 5-year-old sons without getting bombed -- f-bombed.

When did it become societally acceptable to casually accuse people of having sex with their mothers? In the half a minute it takes us to stroll past that park, I often hear “m-f” this and “m-f” that, at least three or four times. This obscenity has become an all-purpose modifier -- not even always a malicious one. It can mean “guy,” it can mean “friend” -- sometimes, it means nothing at all, and is just four extra syllables tossed into a sentence with no purpose.

I swear. A lot. When I became a parent, I made a good-faith effort to stop, but it didn’t take. I try to keep it in check, but when I’m behind the wheel, I can be possessed by the spirit of Eddie Murphy.

GO HERE to read more.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is just not the park, I was in Sam's Club last month and there was a guy walking around the store with a tee shirt that read "Not F**king Relevent" in two inch high letters. The F word was of course spelled out completely. I complained to an employee, and they only said, well I am sure if the manager sees it he will say something.

Anonymous said...

This is the society we live in thanks to the slacker 60's losers who now run our government .

Anonymous said...

I agree, it's really gotten out of hand. I'll throw the F word if I'm really ticked off but I don't throw it around casually like a lot of other people do.
I hate hearing it. There are other words to be used instead which are much less offensive.
I was told by a friend that in Delaware, it is illegal to use the F word in public and you can be arrested on the spot for doing so.
Don't know if it's true but that's what I was told.
A Delaware cop told him that apparently.

Anonymous said...

Look at the President and Vice President. They both have potty mouths as well. These are people the kids are suppose to look up to and yet they are letting the nasty words fly. We need to bring accountability back to people and their actions.

Chimera said...

Try working in a retail establishment-you hear a little bit of everything.I cuss too but not around strangers in public!Some of the younger "pants on the ground" crowd use F word as EVERY OTHER word.No kidding.

Anonymous said...

I was at a local store getting gas. I teenager drove up with his boom car radio. All I heard was about f***ing the bi*** and shooting the cops. My two daughters were there and I asked him to turn that off. He gave me lip and I told him if he wanted to hear that trash I couldn't stop him but I didn't care to hear it and didn't want my daughters having to hear that trash. We exchanged words, he mouthed me some more and got in his car and took off. By the time I got my gas and paid for it, he returned to the store, this time with his radio turned down. I appreciate him doing so, but I wish I didn't have to ask someone else to be considerate of the public around them and definitely with young children being subjected to that type of "music".

Ron Brawl said...

I think the day of sheltering your teens from abusive language is over, unless you drop out of society like the Amish do. Instead you have to prepare them and teach them your values.