Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sad News From The Salisbury Zoo

One of the greatest stories my Wife ever shared with me was the one about her special friend, Emmit, the Otter.



Jennifer raised Emmit from almost birth. I was amazed when she said that she had to actually teach Emmit how to swim. They're not natural born swimmers and he didn't have a biological mother to teach him. She raised him at home, giving him 24/7 attention and would use a bath tun, (at times) to teach him how to swim. Jennifer would bring him back and forth from home to work every day.

Unfortunately, today we received word that the Salisbury Zoo had to euthanize Emmit. Trust me on this one Folks, this was not an easy decision for the Zoo Staff and there's no question in my mind that they did the humane thing. He had kidney and liver failure.


Emmit just delighted the children at the Zoo and was probably the biggest attraction. In June of 2006 the Harris Family donated the funding for the Zoo to bring in two new Otters, who joined Emmit in the Otter Exhibit.


So to everyone at the Salisbury Zoo, I'm very sorry for your loss. Jennifer will be saddened by this unfortunate news.

9 comments:

Cathy said...

that is sad news. the otters are definately the highlight of the zoo.

RIP Emmit.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't just children he delighted...the otters are my favorite to visit at the Salisbury zoo.

Anonymous said...

aint nuthin like raisin youre our babies. *sigh* sorry for your loss

Anonymous said...

I love watching the Otters swim. It looks like it's so easy for them.

I understand why they had to do it. Although hard to do it's the humane thing. Emmit gave so many people so much pleasure, none of us would of wanted him to suffer.

Jennifer, I'm sorry for this loss. Just remember all of the memories you made with this little guy.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Jennifer. I remember when you were raising Emmit and how special he was to you.
Cathy-Jo

Anonymous said...

Joe, we were at the zoo earlier this week and the otter pool was drained and there was only one otter in the exhibit. The other two otters are still staying, right?

J.Albero said...

To my knowledge, yes. We will have another Post up tomorrow. I have asked Jennifer to give us a little history and background on Emmit's 17 year span at the Salisbury Zoo.

Anonymous said...

:'-( sniff, goodbye, emmitt

Anonymous said...

I used to just stand at the otter exhibit and watch them. The rest of the animals at the zoo are nice to look at but most just stand/lay there. The otters always put on a show for people. Emmit will be missed.