Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The History Of 'APRONS'

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect
the dress underneath,because she only had a
few,it was easier to wash aprons than dresses
and they used less material, but along with
that, it served as a potholder for
removing hot pans from the oven.


It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on
occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.


From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying
eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched
eggs to be finished in the warming oven.


When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding
places for shy kids.


And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around
her arms.


Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow,
bent over the hot wood stove.


Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen
in that apron.


From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.
After the peas had been shelled, it carried out
the hulls.


In the
fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that
had fallen from the trees.


When unexpected company drove up the road, it was
surprising how much furniture that old apron
could dust in a matter of seconds.


When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the
porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was
time to come in from the fields to dinner.


It will be
a long time before someone invents something
that will replace that ' old-time apron' that
served so many purposes.


Send this
to those who would know (and love) the story
about Grandma's aprons.


REMEMBER:


Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies
on the window sill to cool.


Her granddaughters set theirs on the
window sill to thaw.


They would
go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs
was on that apron.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made one for my mom aboutthirty yeas ago and she still has it, home ecomomics class, lots of girls. It was made out of denim.

Anonymous said...

I love my husband's memory of his Italian grandmother's apron. Her apron had pockets and one pocket held her rosary beads while the other held a slip of paper with the numbers she wanted my husband to play for her with the bookie down the street.

Anonymous said...

That was nice Joe...thanks for the smile.

Anonymous said...

On a record pace today Joe my boy.

nancy said...

Thanks Joe...you just brought back a lot of good memories of my grandmother...it made me smile:)

Anonymous said...

I still wear an apron when I'm cooking those big holiday meals and I've made them for my grandkids to wear when they are helping me.

I still have the aprons my sons made me in home ec many, many years ago.

dottie said...

Thanks Joe... good memories were brought back reading about grandma's apron. I can see her now! Im smiling :)