Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, June 05, 2017

Why Vote Republican? Part 3

I ask myself this question regularly these days. The only answer that makes sense to me is that it’s better than the alternative. I can’t imagine voting for the lunacy represented by Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters, Cherokee Liz Warren, Crazy Bernie Sanders, or the woman who thinks she actually won the election, Hillary Clinton.

I would rather be voting for a great political party, rather than voting against a distasteful one. Given the state of the current two parties, the distinction is not that clear. It’s more like saying I’d rather die from a heart attack in my sleep than from pancreatic cancer. Both roads lead to the morgue. It’s the journey that differs.

One could argue that Neil Gorsuch would not be a Supreme Court justice if the Democrats controlled Congress. President Trump might already be impeached and removed from office, with Maxine Waters and Kathy Griffin holding his bloody head as a trophy of a Democrat-controlled Congress.

I’ll concede these points but still harken back to my original question, why vote Republican? This is not the first time I asked this question.

In 2015, after the November midterm elections gave control of both the House and Senate to Republicans, President Obama announced his amnesty plan. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, rather than exercising his constitutional duty to check and balance an overzealous executive branch, folded like a cheap suit and funded Obama’s plans.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting article. While I am a conservative the substance is certainly thought provoking. An answer I come up with is that Trump is so contrary to the D.C. "establishment" and not a career politician that even the GOP geezers are offended by his brash and unpolitical correctness. I totally get why McCain is upset with him but why are McConnell and other "lifers" playing hard ball. 2018 is right around the corner; perhaps it is time to drain the swamp on both sides of the aisle.

Anonymous said...

There's no question that the swamp draining that Trump heralded was on both side of the aisle and both inside and outside of the Beltway.