Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, July 01, 2011

Will It Stay Or Will It Go?

The above image is the oldest portion of the old Feldman's building considered historic by the state of Maryland.


The City of Salisbury doesn't like what they see so they have filed an order to demolish it.

I did some research on this matter and to make a long story short, the City has no comment.

I wanted to know, IF you follow through with the threat of this letter, is the City actually going to tear it down. "No comment".

So let's see what you have to say about it. I'm not saying the City is right or wrong on this matter. I just know that back when I was negotiating a purchase of the entire property the state told me I could not take the above portion of the buildings down. I have no gripe and obviously IF I had been able to purchase the property one of the contingencies would have been to be allowed to tear it down. I just want to be open and fair about where I'm personally coming from.

The buildings have not been maintained for quite a few years and are in questionable condition. However, I could say that about several of the buildings Downtown.

Anyhow, let's hear what you have to say about this matter. Remember, IF the buildings are torn down it would be at taxpayers expense. You might be reimbursed by the Bank of Delmarve who holds the note on this property. Since the City has no comment its difficult to get more answers.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like it would be a lot more cost effective to renovate it rather than tear it down.

Anonymous said...

one order with the bank of delmarva please...

Anonymous said...

I had a booth there for many years when it was an antique mall. It's a shame that the building was never kept up to code, as it was a viable business. There were at one time probably 40-50 dealers, and we had a good clientele. Maybe someone can find out what's going on in there now. When I go by the main entrance, I can look in and see work being done. For what? I wish someone could rehab the building. It is historical, going back to pre-1900, as a member of the National Historic Trust, I favor rehabbing old buildings like this over tearing them down. However, I realize that it would take tons of money to get it back to acceptable shape.

Anonymous said...

Seems like a waste of a fine old building to just tear it down.

Anonymous said...

Definitely a waste to tear it down. I mean, look at the brick work and lines of the structure, Gorgeous stuff. It'd be nice to see it renovated. Would definitely work well as an indoor farmers market/co-op shop. Someone save this place!

Anonymous said...

It's a prime example of the blight Ireton talks about.
The rehab costs are so high they could never be recovered through rent.
The City can afford to tear it down using a very small portion of its reserve funds.
But it won't happen. Debbie & Terry will claim we're too poor. Joe will agree despite the fact allowoing it to sit there and rot decreases the value of his building.

Anonymous said...

I daresay the accusation that the building is not safe is unfounded.
A task force is needed to re-ascess

Anonymous said...

I say tear it down so I can have more FREE parking.