Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 03, 2010

The $64,000.00 Follow Up Question, Attn. All States Attorney Candidates


On Wednesday night I asked the following question below:

Citizens want accountability from their local officials. We hear about officials violating their charters. We read confidential personnel records leaked to the newspaper by some paid or elected official. We hear about officials signing contracts committing taxpayer assets to multimillion dollar projects with the state without legislative votes to do so. Now we hear about tax-funded agencies cutting off services who haven't shared financials with paid or elected officials. The landfill scandal got exposed, but punishments weren't as much as the public expected or deserved.

Mr. Davis, what are you doing to make sure our public officials, hired or elected, do their jobs by the rules and face consequences if they don't?

Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Maccierello, what will you do as our new state's attorney to make sure our public officials, hired or elected, do their jobs by the rules and face consequences if they don't?


Unfortunately, the beef of the question, (in red) was never really answered by any of the candidates, so I'll kindly ask at this time if each Candidate will kindly, (through comments) answer the above question, minus the Landfill portion. Oh, trust me, they all read Salisbury News.

4 comments:

lmclain said...

Come on, Joe...THEY'RE POLITICIANS.... do you REALLY expect any concrete answer? I predict something along the lines of "I am committed to the integrity of the process and will do everything to insure that" or "for too long this type of thing has gone on, but I (fill in the name) will do my utmost, blah blah blah..." What we want to hear is "I promise--- I will put each and every public official I see violating the public trust or abusing/manipulating the process for personal gain or incompetence IN JAIL --- each and every one, without exception." THAT'S what I want to hear...fat chance. I don't like to see shoplifters get 90 days while public officials STEAL or MISMANAGE millions of dollars and get probation or retire with full benefits... of course, I'm old school...I think the law and its consequences, especially for thieving public servants should be equally applied...

Anonymous said...

I agree 3:05. They protect each other. It is a shame but the folks don't hold them accountable and keep reelecting them.

lmclain said...

I also can't help but notice, Joe, that you called them out --- and noted that they read this blog -- and they STILL haven't had the guts to reply...refer to my earlier post....their answer would be a bunch of blah blah blah and they know it....

Anonymous said...

They'll answer it. These are politicians. Two are lawyers and one's a cop. The most interesting election going, if you ask me.