Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 03, 2010

Tattoo Barbie, My Cleaning Trolley And More Of The Worst Ever Toys For Girls

As if there weren’t enough conflicting messages out there in popular culture for our children to disseminate, The Huffington Post rounded up a gallery of the 14 worst toys for girls today, and some of the contenders are truly, truly astounding. Whatever your reservations might have been about stereotype-reinforcing playthings from years gone by like My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake, just wait until you get a load of the disquieting Baby Alive, My Cleanup Trolley and that old Christmas morning favorite, The Pole Dancer.

Parents, what do you think of these toys? Would you buy any of these for your little girls? What are some of the more disturbing toys you’ve seen?

Source

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with a little dress up or even an appreciation for pregnancy and motherhood, but OMG some of those are so awful it leaves me speechless!

Anonymous said...

A word to the ladies about tattoos or "tats" as some are so inclined to say. One evening years ago about 6 of us from my alma mater (an exclusive all female college in Wash DC) decided to go and get tattoos.
The shop owner wouldn't do it. He came right out and said we were too classy and tattoos on girls looked trashy. I'm thanking him to this day!

Anonymous said...

we are still trying to "boy-up" these girls. girls by nature are meant to be "delicate little flowers". we need to start putting them in little pink dresses and teaching them early to cook and clean.

Anonymous said...

This is to 10:31
Teaching them early to cook and clean? What generation are you from? I am single and if you are, I'd love to have a man who brings home all of the money while I cook and clean! I'm tired of working and not being able to sleep past 5:00 in the morning! Bring it on buddy!

Anonymous said...

I didn't see anything wrong w/ most. The "lil monkey" and prego barbie were my biggest issues. The rest it was just kinda oh well... Also, they make cleaning toys that aren't gender spec and that's what my kids have. My boy loves sweeping w/ his dirt devil :)

FedUp! said...

It's not the toy makers to be concerned with - it's the idiot parents who buy the stuff. A quick walk through Toy - R Us will confirm this as on any given day, one can see many parents who should have been nutered/spayed a LONG time ago. Now, as sure as I have made these comments, somebody will get on her and ask me what right do I have to say such things - my answer is simple: I spent a long time in the desert insuring that those folks can have their say, and so can I!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with ya FedUp! I've been preaching the spay/neuter thing for awhile now. I think when someone applies for any social welfare benefit they should be spay or neutered. After all they can't take care of themselves why should they create more burden? I'd be willing to pay more in taxes even for the program.