Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 15, 2010

Retired Handicapped Servicewoman No Longer Snowed In




I received a message from a local Adult Daycare of a woman who was snowed in and wheel chair bound. Fortunately she has a motorized wheel chair but I have to tell you Folks, what a pleasure it was meeting this fine American and what an honor it was to GIVE BACK.
She's retired from the military service and located here to Salisbury a few years ago. Considering her physical condition, she hasn't been able to get out and meet many people. Again, this is one of the reasons I continued to ask others, if you see a neighbors home still snowed in, lend a helping hand as everyone has a story.
In this case, I wish I could have been there sooner but fortunately she didn't need to leave the house until appointments this week. By now the white snow left on the ground has now melted and she can get to and from wherever she needs.
Have you checked your neighborhood for signs of people not able to get in and out?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is off the subject but isn't it interesting that the county could spend $1 million dollars for a piece of land on Rockawalkin Road last year but can't get the snow cleared so it is open for travel. Unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I enjoy reading your blog, and in fact, I read it almost daily. Please don’t take offense, but I wanted to make you aware that the word “handicapped” is no longer the politically correct wording when referring to “someone with a disability.” The word handicap actually means “cap in hand”. It is an old English term from way back when, and people with disabilities were called handicapped because they were beggars. I am a Special Education Teacher that was born with a physical disability and I grew up with people calling me handicapped. I just want to cringe when I hear or read this word. You have not offended me in any way….I just wanted to make you and our community aware! I also did some research on the net and actually now there is another term that is supposed to be used and it is “differently able.” I personally don’t like that one and have never even heard it. Most people with a disability I know would rather be referred to as someone with a disability, not handicapped. When speaking about a person who is disabled, you put the person first. For example, someone might say, “a retired lady with a disability or Jonny with Autism.” A lot of people tend to say politically incorrect terms like, “that handicapped girl or that Autism boy.” Anyhow, thanks for listening and have a great week!

Anonymous said...

5:48 The word midget isn't politically correct either. I believe the correct word is Dwarf or from what I've heard Little People. Our little one on this very blog is called the M-word everytime she rolls outside. Instead of correcting it she ignores it. Go somewhere when a M-joke is told. Cracks me up everytime. She knows a better one every single time. Oh btw she's also Disabled just doesn't know it yet.

Lauren said...

8:01 Alot of people have there own opition on this matter, just for the record my best friend has a physical disability and i would never stand for or find anything funny about jokes about her disability, so unless it is you that is a (little person)as you called it, you really dont know if it bothers her deep down..........