Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 03, 2011

A Letter To The Editor 11-3-11

Hey Joe,
My parents and my wife and I are having a terrible experience with a local business. As a business owner, I was just appalled at the lack of customer service.
It started on September 30th.  Mattress Warehouse advertised a sale if you buy 2 mattresses. My parents asked if my wife and I wanted to get a mattress with them. We decided that it was a good deal and we went and laid on the beds in the store and found one that we could all agree on.  We paid for the mattresses and had them delivered the following Tuesday to my parents' house because they would only deliver to one location unless we paid extra. I understand that and picked up my mattress from their house on Tuesday evening. We put the mattress on our bed and laid down. This mattress was like laying on the bare floor!  We had ordered a mattress that was soft. We specifically ordered that mattress from all the others because it was the softest one we found. Funny thing is that the ones we received were harder than any we laid on in the store!
The next day, when my father got to work, he asked me if I liked the mattress. I told him that it was way too hard. He said that he and my mother said the same thing about theirs. I was going to call the store and see what could be done, but he convinced me that they would take care of it. Over the course of the next 3 days, I got such a bad cramp in my neck that I had to see a chiropractor. I had to schedule 3 visits to get my neck feeling better. The same day I had my last visit, my wife had to go and see him a couple of times. WIthin 1 week, my mother had to make an appointment to see him and has been there approximately 9 times and still has to go back. My parents have not slept in their bed since the 2nd week.
The store verified that the numbers were correct on what we ordered. This was their official response even though no one came out and laid in ours and compared it to the one in the store. My mother and father made 2 trips over to the store  lay in the one at the store and it was substantially softer than the ones we got.My father continued to call over the next couple of weeks, with promises of return phone calls ad assurances that something would be done to correct the situation. The only time he ever got a response was when he called them back and got them on the phone unexpectedly. After 3 weeks of not getting any action on the problem, my mother called  the credit card company to do a chargeback. Instead of proceeding to do the chargeback, they conected her directly with the store. She told the girl that she was doing the chargeback and that the credit card company connected her  to the store. The girl said that someone would definitely call back the next day and that they were in the process of getting us a substantial upgrade because two other mattresses in Baltimore had the same problem.
She called back the next day and told us that someone was coming to deliver two new mattresses and she hoped that it was better. When the mattresses got there, they were just as hard as the original ones. My father told them to take them back. We called again and they have told us that there wasn't anything they could do because we got the catalog number that we ordered. At no time during this whole situation, did anyone from Mattress Warehouse ever come out and lay on our beds and go back to the store and compare them. They let it slip that they had the same problem on two other beds in Baltimore, but can't seem willing to admit that there may be a problem here.
Their latest comment was that they would try and get a rep from the mattress company to come out. We have been over 5 weeks without a bed and they just keep pushing us off and telling us that we got what we orderd. Again, if ANYONE had ever come out and compared ours to the one in the store, they would have realized that there was a problem. As a business owner, I know that something cold have been done and I feel that they just want to ignore it untl we go away. I will be calling to do a chargeback this week. That doesn't even help me get back all the money spent on chiropractors because we always have a soft mattress and ended up sleeping on a mattress as hard as the floor.
Anyone wanting to do business with this company should beware. All they had to do was get us a soft mattress. We have spent a lot of money on chiropractors to this point and still don't have our two new mattresses.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mattress Warehouse is horrible to deal with. Several years ago, my husband and I bought a new mattress from them. Within three months, we had two huge dips in the mattress. I contacted the store and they said I had to file a complaint online, which I did. They were very slow to respond to the complaint. After emailing and calling them numerous times, after SIX months, someone finally came out to my house to measure the dips to make sure they were bad enough to justify an exchange. Three months after the man came to measure, we finally got our new mattress. I will NEVER again buy a mattress, or any product, from them!

Anonymous said...

i'll keep buying my mattresses from sams club. king size serta perfect sleeper pillowtop for $1028/set or $778/mattress only. gonna buy one this month as a matter of fact.

Anonymous said...

To 11:13am... The same thing happened to us although they told us to send a picture to them on line showing the dip... We landed up getting a 40% credit towards a new mattress... Absolutely ridiculous! Most mattress stores have nothing to do with the warantee.. You always have to refer back to the manufacturer... ip orff artists!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sticking up for the store, but do you know how long those mattresses have been on the showroom floor or how many people laid on it to make it as soft as it is? No brand new mattress is going to feel like the one at the showroom because they have not been used at all.

A pair of jeans gets softer upon wear than when you purchased them off the rack, correct? Most items are that way.

Anonymous said...

Sam's club has a great deal on mattresses, but go to Mike's Clearence Center--you can get the same mattress for several hundred dollars less!! We did and are very happy!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you are suffering from back pain. Anyone who has ever suffered from back pain knows exactly how horrible it makes you feel all over. As for the way that they have treated you, that's typical for these types of places. Have you tried a mattress like Tempur-Pedic? My father suffered for years with back pain. My parents bought a mattress similar and it really made a difference for him. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

The very name "Mattress Warehouse" suggests to me a place that I wouldn't want to deal with. I would go to a more creditable place than that.

Anthony Trader said...

We have always had the best results with FurnitureLand in Delmar, DE. Over the years, we have come to realize that having a local family owned business in your corner is the best situation for any customer. They have a beautiful bedding gallery with brand name bedding at fair prices.

Anonymous said...

I will never deal with that store again either. I bought a queen set and a twin set several years ago from them. Found out that the jerks delivered USED mattresses with the same serial number. I got the same runaround the OP did and the mattresses are still sitting in storage. Went to Johnny Janosik and got two new sets that we love.

File a complaint with the BBB. I did.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the info. My wife and I were just talking yesterday about possibly getting new mattress! I will certainly take that into consideration if I do shop for one. I wish you the best with your situation.

Cerealposter said...

As much as mattresses cost,they should be comfortable and what you ordered.Not making light of it,but I was reminded of that old faery tale,"The Princess and the Pea" as I read this letter