Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Something Needs To Be Done


If you've ever been Downtown and made the turn around the corner of my building onto Market Street, well, it's a complete 45 degree turn and most vehicles rear tires end up on the sidewalk.

Its bad enough that people are constantly parking right on the sidewalk several times a day but when you get a tractor trailer that thinks this is a normal thoroughfare, well, it's impossible for them to go in either direction without their trailer almost hitting the corner of my building or at least taking up the entire sidewalk.

The City has already replaced the concrete on the corner because it was so warn out from people driving on the curbing and sidewalk. Then there's people like the second picture that think nothing will happen to the concrete curb when they ride their vehicle up onto the sidewalk. Trust me, this happens so many times in a day it isn't funny.

Nevertheless, I'd request that the Mayor and Council restrict ANY traffic on this portion of the road to passenger vehicles only. I'd then request that they PAINT the curbs again, (it's probably been 20 years or more since it was done) and then start writing tickets.

Heck, give me the paint and I'll do it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every morning and afternoon same deal. Two way traffic around that corner with a UPS truck parked up on the curb is the absolute worst.

Anonymous said...

LOL good luck with that. You can paint the street green and orange if you like but delivery trucks will still park there. Where else would you suggest they park? I have worked in that industry before and all they care abou tis getting paid by delivering their service.

Anonymous said...

Report truck driver to company he distributes for. He knows better than that but heck if he can do it and get away with it then its going to keep on happening.

Anonymous said...

I saw a Dollar General 53' tractor trailer down there the last time I went to the Dentist. He was all screwed up, his GPS must have taken him that way. What a fiasco.

Anonymous said...

Your right! the side walk does appear wider then necessary.

Peter Coors said...

The LCB gives places downtown an alcohol license, like the one on the plaza that this truck was trying to deliver to, they have to park somewhere. I'm sure the 5 min. it was there it caused alot of problems. Probably the least busy street in the area where the truck is anyway.

Jen Darcy said...

As a representative of Carey Distributors, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience our employee caused anyone while he was making his delivery to our customer on the plaza. Having experience trying to park downtown, and as you can see from the picture, parking and delivery options for the downtown area are limited. All delivery vehicles face the same challenge in that area. If you have any other feasible parking options for delivery vehicles, I welcome the suggestions. I would appreciate a phone call though, instead of a public posting. Usually if someone has an issue with our company, they call us on the phone to discuss.

Joseph Albero said...

Jen, please forgive me for not calling but allow me to explain. I was not in any way, shape or form attempting to target your business at all. It just so happened they had come through and parked, allowing me the opportunity to show how large these vehicles are coming through the area. Believe me, there are a hundred times more vehicles than your coming through here regularly.

There certainly is a better route, so you know. You can use Camden Street, (directly behind the Plaza) off Division Street. That's where all other delivery companies go.

I have heard nothing but great things about your company and again I personally apologize that our article somewhat targeted your business.

Please think about the beef of the entire story. I'm confident, (if you owned my building) you'd completely understand where we were going with the story.