Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Man Says Sign Pushed Him To Explain Sex To Daughter, 8

School Marquee: 'Yes, We Can Talk About Sex'

A viewer said he was pushed to explain what sex is to his 8-year old daughter because of a sign on the marquee at Americas High School.

Officials last week posted "Yes, we can talk about sex" on the school marquee, which is located at 12101 Pellicano Drive on the East Side.

The viewer, who did not want to be identified because he said he has relatives who work at the school, said his daughter read the sign while on the road.

"My 8-year-old daughter asked me if we could talk about sex, and I was kind of surprised where she had heard that from. ... When I turned around to look at her, she was pointing at the sign," he said.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord. Aren't kids growing up too fast as it is? The only thing an 8 year old needs to know about sex is to stay away from it.

Anonymous said...

everybody know its the school job to sex educate our youg kids.

Anonymous said...

Yes, 10:07, you're right, but an 8-year-old needs to know something about it in order to stay away from it. Most of the "experts" say that, if a child is old enough to ask questions about sex, they should be answered as forthrightly as possible. Nowadays, some 8-year-old girls are getting their periods and showing other signs of entering puberty.

Anonymous said...

Nowadays, some 8-year-old girls are getting their periods and showing other signs of entering puberty.

August 31, 2011 10:48 AM

OMG! I must be way behind the times. You're correct in saying if they ask they should get honest answers.

I just hope I am never asked by an 8 year old. I would probably be more embarrassed than her

Anonymous said...

10:48 you are a fool. It is not the schools job to promote sex discussions. It is their job to teach the basics (reading, math etc...) No wonder our children slip in the educational rankings every year compared to other countries. Our schools are a mess.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that I'm the fool here. You sound far-removed from your own school days. Yes, then we (I'm a retired teacher) taught the "basics,"certainly not sex education or other subjects that are commonly found in schools. But think how much society has changed since you and I attended school. (I'm a product of the '50's). If all parents did their job, then the schools could concentrate on "basics." Unfortunately, many parents simply don't have the parenting skills that most of us had growing up.

One more thing: Why do those of you who disagree with someone's point of view insist on calling that person a fool, idiot, or moron. Such name-calling tells us much about you. Yes, I did imply in my first sentence that you are a fool;the need for my explanation to you only reinforces that view.

Anonymous said...

would you rather have bill clinton explain it to her?