Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 22, 2010

Delegates Conway & Mathias Hold Town Hall Meeting In Wicomico County




Over the weekend Delegates Norm Conway and Jim Mathias held a Town Hall Meeting in front of a small crowd at the Wicomico County Library.

They filled their entire time making brief speeches in the beginning and then opened the floor to public questions.

What I'd like to do at this point is like to another article by Right Coast. She brings up details and information I believe everyone interested should view.

Now I don't always agree with Right Coast on many issues and I'm also saying I don't necessarily agree with her view overall of this meeting. I believe both Delegates answered every one's questions, while some people continued to interrupt and I believe that's what upset Mayor Jim Ireton.

That being said, I did my best to curb that and help these Delegates to move onto someone else's questions. I'll also admit, I did piggyback on a question or two myself.

After the meeting some of us met for lunch to continue our views on the meeting and I have to be completely honest. Sometimes I think people are just looking for the negative and not fully concentrating on the positive. What I mean by that is, no matter what these two gentleman had to say, there's always something left to attack them on. In this meeting I tried to bring that out because I really didn't think that was fair.

Mr. Conway expressed how they only need 71 votes to pass something and the Eastern Shore is only 10 of those 71 votes. So, IF they wanted to go after Chicken Farmers on the Eastern Shore for lets just say pollution, it's not easy to convince those on the Western Shore just how vital our Farmers are here on the Shore and quite frankly I believe Norm Conway has done a pretty darned good job defending the Shore, considering those odds.

Now I'm sure many will disagree. That's what this Blog is all about. I'll add, I do not necessarily agree with Norm Conway on many issues but as time goes on and I learn more and more about what they're up against, sometimes it's more important to have WISDOM representing ALL of us than it is to replace someone because you dislike them.

We need to be more responsible with our challenges towards the people that represent us in the sense that we need to ask more questions. Of course we're going to disagree on many issues but I'd like to at least take this opportunity to open the discussion on matters you're most concerned with and take those questions to our Representatives and get solid answers from them.

That being said, let's be civil. Let's ask questions here through comments and let me see if I can get those questions answered for you. I think everyone here knows me well enough. If I don't like their answers, that will come out.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe people interrupt because it only takes a sentence or two for politicians to change the subject and run from any questions that have merit. They attack {as you call it}, because we're ALL tied of being lied to. Politicians twist and manipulate words and meanings to suit their needs {and those two have done their fair share of it} only to leave citizens feeling LIED to when the paper hits the trail!

Questions: I'd like to see their WRITTEN statement on how they will uphold and hold dear the Constitution. And secondly, their commitment to cut ALL spending.
3rd: A written commitment for support{or not} on All of what Orsonwells posted this morning {What Would Happen If...}

Good luck getting ANY written promises from a politician...

Anonymous said...

interrupting?

I observed two MEN having a back and forth conversation. I did not see interruption.

I did see a huffy person in a leadership position in this community prance about like a thin skinned school girl when he didn't like a politician being taken to task and trying to get tem to answer the question and stay on point.

Anonymous said...

Look at their voting record on the issues that will tell everything you want to know about them. They blow smoke during an election then it's back to the same ole, same ole...politics as usual.

And Norman Conway does know that any land purchased by a municipality comes off the tax rolls. If you fell for his crap then you'll fall for anything.

JC said...

You're a good man Joe

Anonymous said...

If they have any Constitution to worry about it's the Maryland Constitution. They're NOT federal politicians!

Anonymous said...

hey joe, coming from ny, you should know the history or LI and the duck farms that were out there once. it's only a matter of time till the chicken industry moves out of here. And I for one say good riddance. I have never in my life seen a place where farmers dump tons of chicken sh@t on the fields and let it all run off like they do here! this practice should have been stopped decades ago! ignorance is not always bliss!
Purdue and the other companies should be held accountable for the damage their industry does to the environment! all in the name of a buck! truly despiccable!

Anonymous said...

jim will be looking out for oc, tax money rebuilding beaches. what about the rest of us.... right

Anonymous said...

You sound like they have you in their pocket Joe, with some of the postings you have written the last three days and some of the comments you have posted.

Anonymous said...

AS a person bred and born a Republican, Norman and I have disagreed on many issues. We have agreed on many others. He certainly does not have a problem telling you that he does not agree with you and why he does not agree with you...I appreciate and respect that honesty...
Nobody since the days of Lewis Riley, Danny Long and Mark Pilchard has ever represented us so fairly and produced such great results. Norman has produced funding for many worth while projects for his district,and other districts on the Delmarva Peninsula, including the Pittsville water system, Willards sewer system and many others that could not of been completed with out his help.
His high character is without question. WE need to keep him in the House and we should all be proud that we have a person of his calibur represent us.

Jim Mathis has done a good job for us in the House and he will do a great job for us in the Senate. Prior to leaving Ocean City Jim began to learn about the rest of the Lower Shore. He sought out good people to give him guidance and now he has learned and appreciates how us non-Ocean City people live and think.

We need to re-elect both of these men and be proud that they represent us. They do good work