Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, January 23, 2009

Administration Sets Agenda for Veteran Care

American Forces Press Service|by Army Staff Sgt. Michael J. Carden

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama has promised to deliver the care and benefits the nation's military veterans deserve while transforming the Department of Veterans Affairs into a 21st century organization, according to an administration agenda posted on the White House Web site.
"Keeping faith with those who serve must always be a core American value and a cornerstone of American patriotism," President Obama said during a April 2007 speech in Kansas City, Mo.

"Because America's commitment to its servicemen and women begins at enlistment, and it must never end," he said.

President Obama, who served on the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, plans to reverse the 2003 ban on enrolling modest-income veterans into the VA system, allowing all veterans the opportunity for care, according to the agenda on veterans. The administration also plans to continue the fight to end employment discrimination for guardsmen and reservists.

Additionally, the administration aims to improve the process of transitioning from active duty to civilian life for military members leaving the service or returning from deployment. To improve the benefit decision system, the administration will look at hiring additional claims workers with an improved accountability and training criteria, according to the agenda.

Also, the administration plans to launch new programs and expand proven programs to prevent homelessness among veterans, as well as to explore the possibility of a national "zero tolerance" policy to ensure no veterans end up on the streets.
Read more

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obama now has a birds eye view of the many homeless vets living right outside the White House. I pray this is successful, our vets deserve much more than a bed over the metro steam grates.

Anonymous said...

He has always had this view, if you looked at his voting record.

Anonymous said...

Accountability...do you really think most vets end up this way...how about just helping out the homeless among us. Foreclosures are up and if he does as promised, there will be less homeless and there will be medical care for all, and guess what? There will still be a homeless population. As a military vet, I resent the fact that many people actually think the homeless are represented by a majority of military vets. I have an aunt, my father, my stepfather, uncles on both mother and father's side, grandfathers (RIP)who were never homeless. Homeless people have made bad choices or are under temporaty life changes and then there are those with psychiatric problems, these people as a group need help, not just the vets. I applaud Obama on his rhetoric, but just fix Walter Reed and the claims process for Vets. All this spending is making me sick. The Congress had over 54 bills in the last 4 years on VA issues, some passed some failed, and just cuz he introduces legislation won't mean these "problems" will be fixed. The Congress can still override his good intentions. If this is that important why didn't he do something as a Senator???

Anonymous said...

Why do Veterans have to pay for their medication at the VA ? Isn't enough that they paid for their Country with their Service.

They must pay over and over. Yet

illegals in this country don't pay and also get govenment housing and food stamps and free medical treatment. NICE ISN'T IT!s

Anonymous said...

I know a retired navy man, his co-pay for meds is $3. not sure about those that served short term. They did serve their country none the less to keep us free.

Many people don't even know the Veteran's Office is in the State Governement building and court house second floor in downtown Salisbury.

When my father died in 1996. I went to Wayne Gilchrest's office to get his discharge papers for a military salute, they gave me the run anound how a fire in the main record keeping office in Kansas had lost info.

To make a long story short I got my fathers discharge papers from the court building the day after he was buried. I didn't want to put my Mom through that again so I waited 10 years until my Mom died for my father to get his due military salute. It was an emotional moment for all of us, I cherish that flag.

That's when I parted ways with Wayne.

Anonymous said...

Hello 10:14 AM Tell me how to get Co-Pay of $3. They tell .e I have to pay the full amount. Of yes, I do have a servise connected medical problem I am beong treated for and my recoerds were also Burned in that fire. Simple isn' it. Buut not all the records only the recirds from the middle part of my time of Service, Conenientt,HUH?

Anonymous said...

The Sailor retired after 20 years that get's the $3 copay. It's in his retirement benefits, he retired about 8 years ago. If you know different post it.

Anonymous said...

There is also a VA clinic in Cambridge. I wouldn't know about it if someone I know hadn't told me about it.

Like with the case of my fathers discharge papers, unless you know, and I'm sure they are listed in the phone book however during emotional times we don't always think straight. Common sense isn't an option.