Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

College Student Votes?

"This is sort unrelated... but as I voted in Fruitland this morning, there were two college-aged men several people ahead of me in line. They presented themselves to the check-in as out of state residents (one was, I believe, from Pennsylvania). They said they hadn't gotten an absentee but wanted to vote. They were processed through, although it took some time and much whispering to do so. I was confused about how they could be allowed to vote in Maryland, and how voting officials could verify that they hadn't already voted in their home states. In the end, they were told they could vote today and "would get credit for voting, but your vote won't count." What was that about???"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend is from NJ and attends SU. I went to get an absentee ballot since I was registered over the bridge, and he came with me. Even though his license and taxes are in NJ, he was able to get registered in Wicomico County.

They told us that if you "intend on making Wicomico County your home" you can register to vote here. He filled out the same paperwork as me, and we both were able to vote today.

Anonymous said...

there is an article on cnn.com in the crime part about 3 people voting 2 times in early elections in two different states. It goes on to talk about how there are a lot of people who are registered to vote in two states and how some of them have reported getting to absentee ballots from both of those states.

Anonymous said...

I witnessed a women being allowed to vote and her address did not match her voter registration information. Apparently she moved and they allowed her to vote.

Anonymous said...

I was married and had moved since I had registered to vote.. therfore my address and my name was different. They had a table right at my polling place where I could fill out a form to change both and then I was allowed to vote as normal!

Anonymous said...

There is a serious lack of "security" to protect your vote. The state voting authority website clearly states, you will not have to show any ID to vote. I want to know WHY?!?!?! You can't buy a lotto ticket or even cash a check at walmart without showing id... why wouldn't they require people to show proper ID at polling places?? I went to vote one year and when they gave me my card to verify my address and everything was correct, it was someone else's info all together. I could have voted for her, then gone back as myself. Even this year, if you know someone's address and birthday, you can present yourself as them. Voting should be a protected right... where is the security?

Anonymous said...

Which will be SELECTED as President this year? The Dems think they are owed an election, look for chads to be hanging in swing states.

Anonymous said...

They probably got a provisional ballot, which doesn't count unless the voter is considered eligible. If this is the case, it will be rejected, and that's why they said it wouldn't count.

Anonymous said...

They got "provisional ballots" which allows them to cast a vote until their voter status can be determined at a later time.

Anonymous said...

They could vote today on paper ballot but I dont think it counts