Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 05, 2011

Leaving State To Avoid Taxes Is ‘A Myth,’ Study Says

Higher state taxes don’t lead many residents to leave a state, including affluent taxpayers, a new study says. The report by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities released Thursday uses several economic studies from academics and think-tanks to debunk the arguments that taxes drive people from states like Maryland, particularly the wealthy.

Continue Reading...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always depends on how the analysis is ran. Talk to many of the folks that have took off down south to NC from places like NY and they'll repeatedly give 3 reasons:

1) lower housing and COL
2) lower taxes
3) tired of the "city life"

Taxes aren't the biggest driver but they do factor in

Anonymous said...

Whenever I buy furniture,I tell the Md dealers how much I stand to save in taxes at a Delaware dealer.They in turn knock off at least that same amount from the price (same brand name and quality).For that reason,I see no reason to leave Md for furniture,unless for some reason a Md dealer does'nt have what I want.

Anonymous said...

The "Tax Free" shopping thing is a lie, if stuff was really "Tax Free" than it would cost less. Take Gas for instance, there is 33 cents of tax on it for the state of Delaware, tires also have a tax on them. So don't belive their slogan, it is selective as to what they give you a break on.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to leave Maryland due to the asses that run it!

Anonymous said...

I'm headed to Delaware to do my weekly shopping and to buy my alcohol. Especially the snacks and alcohol!

Anonymous said...

BS I bought properties in FL and am now a FL resident and pay no state income tax...I enjoy my property MD but pay no taxes other than RE taxes...