Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Virginia Woman Wins Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest

Maryland Woman Finishes Second

In the first year Coney Island’s famous hot-dog eating contest was broken into men’s and women’s divisions, two locals vied for the title of fastest female.

Alexandria’s Sonya Thomas, known as the “Black Widow” of competitive eating, won with 40 downed dogs, earning her $10,000 and her own pink champion’s belt.

“I’m so happy!” said Thomas.

She started out neck-and-neck with second-place finisher Juliet Lee of Germantown but later pulled ahead.

“I looked over, and I said, ‘No way!’ But I have to focus myself, because I cannot keep up with her now,” Thomas said. Instead, she preserved her biggest jolt of energy for the winning end.

Lee, of Germantown, Md., ate 29½ wieners, and Stephanie Torres, of Las Cruces, N.M., downed 28½. The men’s competition was won by Joey Chestnut of San Jose, Calif.

READ MORE …

No comments: