Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mayor, Media Should Knock Off Divisive Public Drama

As a victim of crime, I was happy to read that Salisbury will continue to get Safe Streets money and attention. But I'm disturbed to read about more use of my tax money by the mayor for news conferences to once again beat up on a City Council that hasn't been seated even three months yet.

Also, he seems to be trying to divide the council, getting a new council member and my own District 1 representative to join in at these media events. Then The Daily Times editorial board (that's never been to any budget meeting that I know of) jumps on his bandwagon.

Having supported the election of both the mayor and a number of council members, I cannot understand the mayor's constant attacks, accusations and tantrums against a group of people, especially council leadership, who share his goals -- really, the people's goals.

Does this make sense to anybody?

I want to thank the police for their increased presence in my area, which seems to be reducing open-air drug dealing. Thank you to the council members who eliminated furloughs for police patrols on the street to help keep driving down crime in our city.

Enough with the news conferences and editorial beatings. The "little people" like me are frustrated with bombardment by all this video, TV and newspaper drama and showmanship.

Stop the divisive tactics. Give the new council and cool-headed leadership a chance to do their jobs, even if it means getting fewer photo ops and selling fewer papers.

Ben Cheseldine
Salisbury

Source

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Mayor, Media Should Knock Off Divisive Public Drama"


yeah! cuz joe dont like competition!

Anonymous said...

Ireton emulates his idol Obama to a "T" -- trash those who don't agree with you.

Hopefully, Mr. Cheseldine and the others who backed "Jim-beau" in 2009 will just say "NO" to any more of his "help is on the way" nonsense.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Cheseldine has put into writing most of the thoughts that I had and was thinking about putting into a letter to the editor. Well done, sir!

Anonymous said...

I gave up on salisbury a few years ago. I take the by-pass every chance I can to avoid the entire city. The city reminds me of a group of old ladies gossiping 24 - 7. The streets are so bad I compare them with mountain biking.
None of the officials has any brains , look at the wastewater and the dirty river and many other discusting things.
I do visit one place sometimes PRMC , only because I have too , I hate that place too.

Anonymous said...

LOL...I just got posting about this letter on a post further up because I didn't get this far.

Yep, it's a great letter. Every shut up and get to work, LOL!