Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dear Mom And Dad

Dear Mom and Dad,

I died today. You got tired of me and took me to the shelter. T
hey were overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number. I am in a black plastic bag in a landfill now. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge .

Would I still be at home if I hadn't chewed your shoe? I didn't know what it was, but it was leather, and it was on the floor. I was just playing. You forgot to get puppy toys.


Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken? Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door.


Would I still be at home if I hadn't brought fleas into the house? Without anti-flea medicine, I couldn't get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days.


Would I still be at home if I hadn't barked? I was only saying, "I'm scared, I'm lonely, I'm here, I'm here! I want to be your best friend."


Would I still be at home if I had made you happy? Hitting me didn't make me learn how.


Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me?


You didn't pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for you to love me.

I died today.

Love, Your Puppy

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes i wounder what aborted babies think of their mothers.

Anonymous said...

Heartbreaking.

Anonymous said...

Holding my two rescue dogs a little closer and reminding them that someone loves them.

Anonymous said...

should be required reading for anyone thinking of getting an animal

lastword said...

Now that was depressing. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

12:23 - I couldn't agree more! It's sad to think, but walk in to Petsmart one day and see all these young couples with a new puppy in tow and wonder how many of them will end up at a shelter.

lmclain said...

Get your pets from the local shelter. They are smarter, stronger and most of all, love you like you saved their lives. Which you did. ALL of my dogs have come from there. BUT, just as some people shouldn't be allowed to have children, some shouldn't be allowed NEAR animals, much less OWN one....

Anonymous said...

11:31am

They dont think anything. Why? Because they arent living. Something that cant live, cant think.

This is about a living creature(puppy) that tried to live a life with its owners.

Nothing like an aborted baby that is barely in its fetal stage.

G. A. Harrison said...

Anon 2302 -

They aren't living? That may be the stupidest comment I have ever come across (and I've come across some pretty dumb ones).

Even the most rabid abortion supporter with an IQ above 70 acknowledges that the child (or fetus, if that offends your delicate sensibilities) is a living being. The argument usually centers around whether the child has rights. Then the argument usually goes to a discussion of at what stage does the child's right to live supersedes the mother's right to choose.

Ultimately, most pro-choice logic fails because infanticide would also be permissible except under the most specious and arbitrary of arguments. You also beg the question.

Next time, get someone of at least average intelligence to comment for you. I can handle people with whom I disagree. I can handle stupidity up to a point. But to champion a dog, which is non-sentient, over an unborn child who while develop into a sentient being is pathetic.

Next you will argue that you are a Christian. The Bible's pretty clear - God knew you before you were born.