Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Letter to the Editor – Audit the Wicomico Co. Humane Society

In recent days there has been a lot of commotion surrounding this facility. From a dog being destroyed that had rescue and all the lies told surrounding that to where the money goes. Well even if county residents don't care what happened to one dog they should care where their hard earned tax dollars go. This shelter has claimed they have an annual budget of $635,000. The bulk of this is paid to them by the county. Salisbury Animal Control also pays them. Shouldn't this mean that people in the city of Salisbury are paying twice. The town of Delmar has to pay for each dog turned in. They cannot prosecute cruelty cases because of boarding fees to the county humane society. Seems to me that is making Delmar residents pay twice too.

The town of Fruitland has almost non existent services. Since when did all of these places become not part of Wicomico county. This shelter has had many issues concerning corruption on the inside and bad treatment of animals and citizens. They are rude and nasty and state they don't have to be accountable to anyone for the money they receive. Don't you all think it's time to stand up and find out where your money is going. I'm urging all county residents to call for an audit of this shelter. You all may be surprised at what is found. They should be held accountable for all money and intake and records on all animals that have come through there. Also don't you think as a law enforcement entity that animal control should be done from a law enforcement agency such as the sheriffs dept. Give them the $200,000 a year to do this and I bet a lot more would get done. The city of Salisbury animal control is done through the city police department and it works very well. The city does much more then the county does now. People need to stand up now before this box of worms closes again for years. I would think all would want to know where their money is being spent.

NAME WITHHELD

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

There should be an audit system in place anyway, but obviously, there isn't.
As far as Delmar paying twice, you're 100% correct. This is not the only case where Delmar residents are having to pay twice!

Anonymous said...

Earlier this year, after hearning Linda Lugo speak to a club I belong to, I was prompted to join the Humane Society. I also saw the good they do when one of my children adopted a wonderful dog from the HS. I hope that my trust and contribution were not in vain.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone monitor the donations given ?? Is there a system in place to monitor the cash given at fund raisers ??

Also listening to the scanner last night i heard a deputy go to a call for a dead dog that the Humane Society was supposed to be checking on. Did not hear any thing else. Joe you might want to call Mike and see what was up with this one. Sounds a little shady.

Anonymous said...

They should have a twice annually audit anyway, shouldn't they?

The liquor board entities are audited twice a year, so why not the shelter?

Something to hide? They bring this scrutiny on themselves.

Anonymous said...

They are a county funded operation they should be audited. If you want 24hr dog control officers in the county it would cost more then 200k, even using the sheriff's office. You have to have at minimum of 5 persons to cover 24/7 365 days a year. Plus the costs of benefits and vehicles. More like a 500k a year expense. Take the budget the city of salisbury has for theirs and triple it. The county is larger and SPD animial control does not work 2/7

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 10:46 - Of course they have something to hide. Why else would they require all employees to sign an agreement prohibiting them from discussing HS activities outside the agency, even after they leave their employ? ...or so I've been told. Should be easy enough to confirm, though, if someone on the council asks.

Charles Conner said...

Well Joe I used Critter Getters to rid our home from Raccoons about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. What I thought was a very nice policy, Critter Getters had me write Two checks for the charge. Half to Critter Getters and the other half to the Humane Society! Well personaly I thought that was a great deal for all parties. This March I had some ferrel cats that had taken up residency under my Crawlspace. So I call Critter Getters and ask them to come out and catch these cats. Upon arival and collection of these cats. I was billed but I was told that They were no longer working in conjuction with the Humane Society. I asked why and the person from Critter Getters said that "in the past when Linda Lugo was the director We had an understanding that they would not charge us for the dropping off of these cats. In exchange Critter Getters donated half of the charge directly to the Humane Society"! Critter Getters said that the Humane Society new director stated she would no longer honor that deal!
Was there something missing? Am I brain dead? This was in my eyes was a: Win...Win...Win!
Critter Getter made money!
I got a tax write off!
Humane Society got alot more than 10.00!

And this is whats wrong with the people in charge of goverment...They always ruin a good thing!

Heather Williams said...

Well back in June my dog got loose an end up killin a wild kitten where i live...He was deem dangours by animal control but the county over turned that an my dog was given back to me...I paid 450 dollar up from to keep my dog alive until his hearing...I recieved 165 back once I pick him up...Here is my thing when my dog was picked up by animal contral he weight 89 pounds he was at humane society for 20 days in that 20 day he lost 19 pounds an was cover with fleas an had kennel cough...If my 450 dollar was for boarding an feed him why the Hell did he lose 19 pounds..I call twice a week to check on him they keep telling me he was eating an doing fine..I was an still am very upset that my dog lost all that weight in 20 days...He has now gained almost all his weight back but he still has a few pounds to go...Something need to be done about this place...Wicomico county contracts out the animal control an gives the grants...Something has to be done..I don't want to be Anonymous

Heather Williams said...

Please every one excuse my spelling..I get unset about this an type to fast...I also had a problem with them being very rude to me...When I went in to drop my appeal letter off they acted like I was wasting they time an mine..My dog is an has never been dangerous...My father went to them to rent trap to trap some of these wild cat and he was told they don't rent them...Then I was also told if you trap cats and take them there they charged you 12 dollars a cat to take them..

Anonymous said...

Excuse me. But the person that posted that city animal control does not work 24/7. They have two officers and each one is on call for after hours emergency 15 days a month each. If the humane society took their 200,000 for animal control and hired two officers they could do the same. It's bs that they say they can only afford to do animal control 1 to 4 hours a day. What are they using the rest of that money for?

Anonymous said...

I believe there is a lot of lying and corruption within the humane society and something needs to be done about it. I have heard about case after case where people or organizations were there to help and Linda Lugo refused. An audit is absolutely necessary.