Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, June 24, 2011

Take Your Dog To Work Day Should Be A Howl

WASHINGTON -- Friday marks National Take Your Dog To Work Day, the 12th anniversary of celebrating canines in the workplace.
 
The event should prove to be a howl for area offices as workers trade their legal briefs for leashes.
 
Aside from improving the office environment for dog lovers, the event also seeks to raise awareness for animal shelters, breed rescue clubs and humane societies.
 
"It's going to be fun and exciting," says Maureen Dorman, general manager of Field Operations at Fur-Get Me Not, the Arlington and D.C.-based pet care shop, "and maybe a little bit hectic."
 
Dorman warns that a lot of dogs are not used to such an active environment during the day, and may react negatively. Dogs tend to drool, become thirsty, and start scratching, barking or pacing if they become uncomfortable.
 
But there is no need to worry.
 
"I would definitely suggest keeping them on a leash, and take them around to smell everything," Dorman suggests. "They want to get a sense of their environment."

More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very stupid idea. The dogs would be out of their comfort zone and would make a very unproductive day at work .

Anonymous said...

and to heck with your co-worker if they are allergic

Anonymous said...

I don't know of any businesses allowing this.

Anonymous said...

I bought my dog to work today & everyone loves him. I work in a law office & my boss would let me bring him everyday if I didn't already bring my son to work with me :)

jal said...

mine goes with me every day lowes is pet freindly as well as others do not leave them in a car or pickup please