Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Magazine Scam Working Neighborhoods

My doorbell rang this afternoon, (Aug 17) and a tall, clean-cut young man explained how he was working toward an internship with the BBC that would be monitored by John Cleese of Monty Python fame. To earn it, he was selling magazines that would be going to the troops, and he pulled out a laminated card listing several popular magazines and their prices.

I was all set to write a check. After all he was a neighbor, living right around the corner on Strawberry Way. I didn't recognize the name he gave, so I asked for the number of the house and he gave "21xx"

Something didn't sound right. I asked him for his driver's license, and, wouldn't you know, his wallet had just been stolen and he didn't have any identification on him. I told him to wait on the porch and I came inside to look up the name he gave.

No such person lived in Pemberton Ponds, according to my roster. I told him he didn't check out and to have his parents call me. His house number was bogus, since all Strawberry Way addresses begin with "6..."

I googled "magazine subscriptions troops internship" and wouldn't you know, several instances of a similar scam had been reported in other neighborhoods nationwide and to the BBB.

The $25.00 check is not the objective, the objective is identity theft by stealing your routing number and bank information off the check, which will then be used to produce other checks to clean out your account.

I reported the incident to the police while he was still in the neighborhood. More info will be posted in the Yahoo group when it is updated.

My suspicious nature paid off this time, but it didn't kick in right away. He had a smooth line and a friendly and likeable manner. My advice, always get identification and check out door-to-door vendors.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A young man came to my home in West Nithsdale and said he was a neighbor on Upper Ferry Road. Trying to go to school overseas somewhere. I had a funny feeling too and just said I wasn't interested. He was tall thin blonde hair and nice looking. He was dressed very nicely. I think a light aqua shirt and plaid shorts that matched.

Anonymous said...

how about the kids that come around trying to sell you a daily time subscription because they are going to college. if you tell them you are not interested in the paper, they still ask for a donation to help them with school. No thanks, suckers!

Anonymous said...

I lived on Strawberry Way years ago and it sounds like the same guy that came by our house. He pulled the same thing.

Anonymous said...

A few weeks ago young gentleman knocked on my door asking me to buy a subscription to the daily times. He was knocking on every door in my neighborhood. Right off the bat I knew this was a scam...I wasnt born yesterday! Instead of giving him money i gave a story of how my electric was getting cut off, i was going to lose my job, and that foodstamps werent cutting it. He quickly walked away after giving me a free paper!!

Anonymous said...

I am a woman who doesn't open her door to anyone she doesn't know. All of my friends and family always call before they come over.