Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Letter To The Editor

My trip to the Route 50 Post Office:

I had 2 packages to mail, cost - under $16. I paid with my credit card, which was refused because the signature said "see identification". The post office told me to sign my card, I said no, it is signed and you seem to be the only business that has an issue with it. I have never been refused a purchase before. Who the #@!% was the post office to tell me how to manage my business?

According to the post office rules, it is not an acceptable signature. According to Citi, JP Morgan Chase and FIA, which are 3 major credit card companies, it is (I called and asked). And I guess my Maryland license, which has my signature, name, and photo on it, is also not valid identification, since it was not accepted in conjunction with my credit card.

There are a few further flaws to the post office rule. Since the purchase was under $25, they are suppose to process it with out looking for a signature (this according to the supervisor, so why was my card refused?). And they would have accepted an UNSIGNED debit card, regardless of the amount or if it belonged to me or not - just not an unsigned credit card, which actually belonged to me. (Now bear in mind, not once was I asked for identification, this was all about a signature.)

This would explain my comment about their inconsistent policy; in the past my non-signature was a non-issue and now all of sudden it was an issue. Polite words were exchanged and I told them that maybe they should actually know what the actual credit card rules were before they started making their own up and when I inquired with "what would the public need to do, in an attempt to start in motion a complaint to get this rule changed". Their answer is, nothing. Too much bureaucratic red tape and there is no one to complain to. So tomorrow I will go to UPS, and the US Postal Service can continue to wonder why they are losing business and going broke. Their archaic motto: "That's the way we have always done it".

I must make note that the employees at the counter are always the nicest people, but their supervisor needs to work on those people skills. When you have a complaint or inquiry, you pretty much get the "screw you" attitude.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gave up on them a few years ago....if it can't be scanned or emailed, it goes fedex or ups....bills are paid online. The problem is system wide....not just 21801.

Anonymous said...

dont get on the post office for following the rules. you should be getting on the other companies for allow you to break the rules.

hell, read the fine print on your credit card - "not valid unless signed". uh oh! looks like you have to get on the credit card company too!

anyone that ever comes into my office asking me to bend the rules because they are special because their mommy never told them about rules and consistency, wel, they can shove it!

Anonymous said...

I had this happen to me at the same post office, however, I was using a debit card. I never sign my cards and I had used it there before and never had anyone tell me they wouldn't take it, yet the last time I went they wouldn't accept it unless it was signed!! It was a debit card!!! This is part of the reason why I hate the postal service.

Anonymous said...

@1040AM anonymous -

I agree whole-heartedly! When special people come into my office thinking they can get passed the rules, I am more than happy to remind them they are not special and not above the rules!

Anonymous said...

I will NOT sign the back of my cards either. I've been a victim of identity theft and my credit card company instructed me to put SEE I.D on the back of my cards.
If you don't want to accept my card that way when I'm willing to PROVE to you who I am, then fine - you're part of the problem with identity fraud as far as I'm concerned and I will take my business elsewhere.

Sturg said...

Why don't you follow the rules printed on the card as well as add SEE ID. This is what I do and when no one asks me to see my ID I question them and ask to speak to a manager and tell them.

Anonymous said...

The post office will be going away soon. Big salaries, big benefits and big pensions have done them in just like so many other entities in America. There was a time when the postal service or the government was a good gig, but it's time to pay the piper and the free ride is over.

Anonymous said...

Throw the cards away, save yourself.

Anonymous said...

Does the PO have one of those self service machines for packages under 17"? I use those exclusively as they save time and my unsigned credit card always swipes. Like 'em or not, the PO is MUCH cheaper than either UPS or Fedex. So, I can put up with the occasional idiot.

Anonymous said...

What does the PO and veron powell have in common? 30,000 loafers.

Anonymous said...

11:34 - That defeats the whole purpose - idiot!
Your SIGNATURE is what gets copied if your card is lost or stolen.
That is why the card company told me to NOT sign the card!

Anonymous said...

Part of reading is learning comprehension and apparently the haters did not take the time in school to learn that part. The credit card company tells you that "see identification" is a valid signature because it forces the merchant to verify your identity, then this person is not asking for any special treatment. You could put an X on the back and that would be considered a valid signature. You all must be one of the idiots that work at the post office.

Anonymous said...

So if you sign a credit card in front of them.. that assures them it's really you? How stupid is that?

Anonymous said...

everyone pull out your credit cards and read with me now...in the spot youre supposed to sign there is relatively large lettering there that reads "NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED".

hope every one of ya get turned down, but since its all about the dollar anyway, im sure no one will.

Chimera said...

When I was in retail,I never accepted an unsigned credit card without photo ID.And in 99% of the cases,they deliberately left the cards unsigned to prompt an ID request and most clerks never asked them anyway.

Anonymous said...

Post office is NOT cheaper than UPS.
For $9 the post office only mailed it and I paid extra for delivery notification.
for $10 UPS AUTOMATICALLY mailed it, gave me delivery notification and insured it for $100.
Go Brown!

Anonymous said...

1:33
I'm a crook and I would love to use your signed credit and VISA debit cards. Heck, I don't have an ID. You alresdy put yours on the back of your cards. Your so smart.

Mr. B.

Unknown said...

"Post office is NOT cheaper than UPS"

Did you know that UPS pays the USPS to deliver small parcels for them? It must have something to do with the way the Government does math.

Anonymous said...

to all of you Bozo's that sign your credit card the crook's that steal them thank you. I had the same problem with the Fruitland Post Office as well so I signed the card in front of the clerk who then processed the charge. As soon as she handed the card back I wiped the signature off right in front of her. I called Visa and asked the question again about acceptable practices with the cards and was told to print ASK FOR ID or ID REQUIRED instead of signing. So to all of the nay sayer jerks out there my choice is NEVER sign a credit card print ID REQUIRED only on it!

Anonymous said...

im just glad I wasn't the person in line behind you waiting only thing worse is someone writing out a check in the grocery

Anonymous said...

What about the business that take checks that you do not have to sign because they return your processed check & they never ask for ID. Someone could have stolen my checkbook & is having a field day w/my little bit of money.....