Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 19, 2010

Sam Vincent Needs To Take A Leave Of Absence

This is a VERY interesting situation for me personally and with Salisbury News. For the very first time we're confronted with a political situation where there are two people running for Office in which I personally like both people.

Usually I take one side or the other but in this case I cannot do so. I will however state the following. Sam Vincent needs to do the honorable thing and take a leave of absence. If he does not do so, well, quite frankly that will be a major mark against him as far as I'm concerned.

If Sam wants to run an honorable race he'll do so by stepping down for the time being and not placing Davis Ruark in a position in which he'd have to fire him, standard procedure for someone trying to take their superiors job.

This decision, (either way) will determine whether or not this will be a battle to the end or two men showing respect for each other and willing to run a fair race. Sam has plenty of time in and can easily take the time off and I'm confident Davis Ruark will welcome such a leave.

Now, moving forward, here's the deal Folks. Yesterday I removed comments from one Post because less than a hand full of you, JT, JR, TM & BB started hammering the nasty comments and quite frankly I just didn't want to moderate them.

That being said, in future articles I will NOT allow the nasty attack comments towards either party, Davis or Sam. You either stay on topic or your comment will be rejected. For those of you worried about the comments that talk about local men screwing around on their wives all the time, they say that about me too, so get over it. If their Wives aren't strong enough to handle such BS, they shouldn't be running for Office.

This is the South, this is the Eastern Shore. Many of us greet each other with a hug, a kiss on the cheek it's a sign of respect, NOT CHEATING! Good Lord, if it was considered cheating, well, my Wife better get an attorney and a camera because I've cheated a million times.

Seriously though Folks, there are jobs on the line, reputations and futures as well. This is going to be probably the first decent race I have ever personally seen on the Eastern Shore and quite frankly I'm going to enjoy being right smack dab in the middle of it, I THINK?

Everyone who comes here knows I tell it like it is. I never kiss any one's A$$ and quite frankly for a guy in my position with people like Barrie Tilghman and Chief Webster, this is a really touchy one for me. However, I respect the law, I believe in our Judicial System, (except when I lose) and I am going to do my absolute best keeping things fair for both parties.

The Daily Times will come out with who they support and as anyone can guess they'll support Sam Vincent because it will sell papers. They'll attack Davis Ruark, just as they do Frank White, because it sells papers. They'll get additional attention from Salisbury News and while the spontaneous attention will make them feel good, it will not help their reputation and Salisbury News will grow once again during and after this race is over and done with.

So let the games begin and let me make something very clear here. I will promote BOTH parties. Man, this is going to get really good. The ONLY way it could get ANY better is if one more person steps into the ring and challenges Sam and Davis. Where's Bo when you really need him!

Good Luck Gentlemen!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam is a man with integrity and he has my vote!

Anonymous said...

My problem with this situation is, we hear constantly "don't reelect anyone". Now we have two career prosecutors that have been in the same position for more than 20 years and it seems they are our only choice. Isn't there just one new candidate out there somewhere that will run on real change? Are there no republicans lawyers that would want this job? Something just doesn't seem right with this whole situation.

Anonymous said...

I really don't understand why Vincent would have to take leave if Ruark isn't expected to do the same. They are both working in the same office and it doesn't seem fair for Ruark to continue to work and Vincent have to use his leave or not get paid. Just my thoughts on this bizarre situation.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with 10:25 comments. If one should take a leave of absence so should the other. I worked with both Sam and Davis throughout my worktime and found both individuale to be good people. That being said, I feel Sam would be a very god choice for States Attorney He has always been on target and a truley professional prosecuer who always worked the the citizens of this county. He is very mild mannered in speach but his actions are tough on crime and he has mine and my familys support and vote.

joealbero said...

Let me step in and say the following.

You now have someone inside the Office attempting ro run for his Boss' job. How are ALL of the employees supposed to act?????

If you show support towards Davis and Sam wins, that's a black eye and same goes the other way around.

The tension inside will become impossible to deal with and again, IMHO Sam needs to take a leave of absence.

Anonymous said...

I suspect Ruark thinks if he fired Vincent now, it would look petty and vindictive. If he wins the election, I would imagine that is when he would fire him (or vice versa - lol)

Anonymous said...

Joe I guess I would have to disagree here. I competed in many sports as well as elected positions in life. At times competed against friends and family. Anyone that wrestled or boxed in A.A.U. faced friends. I once boxed my own brother who was two years older than I. I pummeled him. lol Yet he is still my brother. We sat at the same table, we still loved our mother. Things were never the same on many levels. A man will except defeat with honor.

The State's Attorneys Office is just that a position of honor. I look at the fact that Sam Vincent has stood in the shadows of Davis Ruark for man, many years. It is Sam' turn to seak the position. In light of Davis' small slip in judgement that rocked a county and an elected office. I feel he should honor the challenge and let the people decide who stays and who goes.

At this point I am leaning toward Vincent. I think he has the tools and the integrity to get the job done. I did not want to see a pound of flesh from Davis, just a little more humility in light of the facts.

I do not know what is going on at the State's Attorneys Office. I hear the rumors that all hear. It is not good for anyone if one bit is true.

I think honor and courage to do the right thing here should prevail. Let these men who pursue justice continue down the road they have for over twenty years.

The people of this county will decide who remains. The men and women who work for the office will have to remain mature and dedicated to the fight against crime.

In closing they can not afford to let Vincent go. Sam is the best they have at this time. I would be totally disapointed in Davis if he had Sam step down. If would just confirm many suspicions the public already has.

God Bless and good luck to both men.


The Wicomican

Anonymous said...

I would think Sam and Davis have discussed this situation and have come up with a solution. In the meantime why do others need to tell them what they should and should not do. It is their life.

Anonymous said...

12:39 even if he is the best prosecutor on Delmarva?

Anonymous said...

Nonsense. They are both mature adults. It isn't personal. Either would do a good job. Sam's loyalty shouldn't be to his boss but to the position he holds and to the people he represents. I don't think for a minute he would compromise that. If Davis fires him it would show a flaw in Davis' character and ego. Sort of Like when Hunter suspended Robin for running against Doris. Everyone knew what that was about. I spoke to the person handling that investigation who stated that it was one of the most politically motivated things he had ever seen. If Davis feels he has to fire Sam it would be Davis who has the loyalty problem because he would be firing one of the most capable prosecutors he has. It would be Society that would pay that price.

Anonymous said...

Its "Beau" , not 'Bo'. Beau has already declared his candidacy for State's Attorney in Worcester County - where he lives. He can't run in Wicomico County.

Anonymous said...

Just reading this Joe, If sam took any time off, willing or Davis getting rid of him. The office will lose the best prosecutor they have ever seen. Ask any defense lawyer, they do not want to go in front of him, he is utterly prepared and knows his stuff. He has his reasons and is one of hte most honorable persons I have ever met.

joealbero said...

anonymous 5:59, I don't disagree with you. However, Sam had to know what he was getting into before he went to the Press. Hey, maybe they could call it a furlough for the time being and save the County a few bucks. ;-)

Anonymous said...

5:59 You Hit the Nail on the Head! "He" has his reasons!!! And, absolutely---I doubt there is another in this County as honorable as Sam Vincent. I wish him all the Best!

Anonymous said...

Davis Ruark is an honorable man. He made a mistake, he owned up to it, and he is better as a result of it. He has done so much good for this county and the people who live here. He's coached little league through American Legion Baseball. He coaches girls' softball. Davis is a first rate trial lawyer, and he is feared in the courtroom more than any other lawyer around. You definitely want him as State's Attorney as opposed to a defense lawyer. Sam Vincent is a good man, thorough and a technically skilled lawyer. I seen them both, I like them both and wish them both the best. But Davis is the man to continue to with the job.

Anonymous said...

Dvais needs to follow his heart.The answers are in the book in your right desk drawer Davis. The Black one with Gold lettering. I think you have ran your course and forgotten from where you came. Do what God tells you and it will be o.k. Good Luck.

Unknown said...

Sam Vincent was a man of integrity and honor. He will be sorely missed. Many prayers and love to his wife and family during this horrible time. RIP Sam Vincent...you were one of a kind.