Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

If I Didn't Have A Dog

If I Didn't Have a Dog I could walk around the yard barefoot in safety.

My house could be carpeted instead of tiled and laminated.

All flat surfaces, clothing, furniture, and cars would be free of hair.

When the doorbell rings, it wouldn't sound like a kennel.

When the doorbell rings, I could get to the door without wading through fuzzy bodies who beat me there.

I could sit on the couch and my bed the way I wanted, without taking into consideration how much space several fur bodies would need to get comfortable.

I would have money and no guilt to go on a real vacation.

I would not be on a first-name basis with 6 veterinarians, as I put their yet unborn grandkids through college.

The most used words in my vocabulary would not be: out, sit, down, come, no, stay, and leave him/her/it ALONE.

My house would not be cordoned off into zones with baby gates or barriers.

I would not talk 'baby talk'. 'Eat your din din'. 'Yummy yummy for the tummy'..

My house would not look like a day care centre, toys everywhere.

My pockets would not contain things like poop bags, treats and an extra leash.

I would no longer have to spell the words B-A-L-L, F-R-I-S-B-E- E, W-A-L-K, T-R-E-A-T, B-I-K-E, G-O, R-I-D-E

I would not have as many leaves INSIDE my house as outside.

I would not look strangely at people who think having ONE dog/cat ties them down too much.

I'd look forward to spring and the rainy season instead of dreading 'mud' season.

I would not have to answer the question 'Why do you have so many animals?' from people who will never have the joy in their lives of knowing they are loved unconditionally by someone as close to an angel as they will ever get.
How EMPTY my life would be!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

When they slam into you at cuddle time, it's all worth the cleaning up.

Anonymous said...

Loved this!!!

Anonymous said...

I live that life with my two. I'm lucky, they allow me the upper right corner of the bed each night if I'm good.

I wouldn't change it for anything!

Anonymous said...

Returning home is the greatest joy. No matter how long I've been out of sight it's like I've been gone forever. This lovefest last for about 10 minutes. No matter how your day has been you forget all about it with this greeting.

Anonymous said...

841 I know exactly what you mean. After arriving home, its couch time for a few minutes.

Anonymous said...

I love my dog (any pretty much any dog for that matter) way more than I do most (all?) people.

Anonymous said...

I love my dogs more than my wife.

Anonymous said...

OMG! you've been to my house!!!

Anonymous said...

I tried spelling certain words like B-O-N-E, etc. After a while I swear they learned how to spell. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Love them unconditionally--just like they love me.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like someone was watching at my house with a secret camera. I have 3 cats and 3 dogs. They are my children with fur.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. Coming home to someone who really cares that you're home is the best part of my day. We have come to an agreement on the bed space -- I take what he doesn't want!!!

Anonymous said...

You have been to my house! I love my dogs more than most people. They are like little children, except they don't sass back as much.

Anonymous said...

You just know they can make you smile after a long day at work---make you feel like the most important person in the world---- and I suppose to them ---We Are! Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

we have to spell O U T and B E D or we have a fighting getting out the door alone and a fight getting the right spot in bed. lol We would be lost without them tho.

Anonymous said...

Lock you spouse and dog in a trunk of a car and then open it up and see which one loves you the most. One will be glad to see you, one will be mad as heck,, lol, can u figure out which one will love you and thank you the most with kisses.
p.s, DO NOT TRY IT,, IT JUST A JOKE.

Will B. said...

I love my boys; 3 cats and a Foxhound and wouldn't want a life emptey of them. THey are a pain in my butt!!!! and I love them .