Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Outstanding Individual

Mr. Albero -

I would like to share with you a first-hand incident I witnessed downtown on the Plaza last Thursday morning. After the storm we had the night before there must have been some downed-limb issues along the Plaza whereas City Public Works crews needed to clean up for the benefit of motorist using the thoroughfare. I know for a fact because I had attempted to park down on the Plaza but was unable to pass due to a City truck stopped collecting limbs. No big deal to me, I just parked along Division Street. As I was walking back from one of the offices there I heard a horn blowing but didn't think much of it. As I got further down the plaza I see someone stopped in their truck waiting for the City crew to get out of their way. They continued to blow their horn and eventually a gentleman - and I mean this is the truest sense of the word - from the Public Works crew approached and kindly informed the motorist that it would be a few more minutes and they would be out of the way. Regardless, this individual unloaded a barrage of expletives to this man, even bringing his mother's name into the fray. In an astonishing display of professionalism and Christian character, the City employee thanked the man for his understanding and asked him to have a blessed day. Even after that he endured yet another verbal attack from this 'man'. Look, say what you will about the City's departments (I for one have been critical at times to them personally) but when I see the good, I have a moral obligation to recognize it as well. I made a point to contact Mr. Messick about the incident in hopes that it would get to the right people in the Department so that this Gentleman would receive the recognition he deserves. I just hope that this City employee understands that his work is appreciated and similarly, I hope that the arrogant individual giving him a hard time sleeps well at night feeling better about himself by giving a hard time to a good, hardworking Christian man.

Bruce Giordano - GM
Bennett Construction, Inc.
Green Advantage Certified - Commercial

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You dont need GOD to be nice to other people, all you need is compassion and common sense.

Orsonwells said...

No, but having God helps. That's who I go to when a situation is especially trying, and He always shows me the right way to go.

Anonymous said...

We need to get this guy into healthcare

Richard said...

And just where would common sense and compassion come from????? God of course!

I truly hope driver of the car got the message as his day progressed. Sometimes it's a matter of someone like the City worker planting that seed.

Anonymous said...

Some people are just plain ignorant and it seems that Salisbury holds more than their share of these individuals. Thank you city employee for keeping your cool and showing this ignorant individual who the better person was.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Public Works. The service you provide to this community is definately underappreciated.

Anonymous said...

Seems that when bad happens everybody hears about it..I am glad that the good is advertised also.

Anonymous said...

Why dont you send this into the DPW so the man can be recognized professionally, and something can be put into his personnel folder for future use.

Of course this wont happen will it.

Anonymous said...

Please pray for me, becuase I would have snatched that joker out of the vehicle. Jammed his head up his arse. Then bounced him until he disapeared. Please forgive me.

Humilaty is an awesome thing. We would not need armies if everyone had it.