Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Great Comment Worthy Of A Post

"Joe,

Regarding anonymous comments:

We have jobs. We have bills. We have responsibilities to families etc. We understand that you have provided a financially secure life for yourself and family. You have the luxury of speaking out publicly about matters. We are glad you do it! Maybe some of us wish we could do it too.

However, our employers will fire us.

If we can't comment anonymously, then, many of us can't comment at all. We don't choose to comment anonymously because it is fun. We choose to comment. Once we make the choice to comment, we understand that it must be anonymously.

Why can't you understand?

The only reason the internet blogs work so well is because they serve a purpose. Specifically, they allow regular ordinary people to make public comments without fear of retaliation.

Don't you understand what Webster will do to us if he knows who we are? Don't you understand how corrupt this place has become? This isn't fun and games. This is real. Many of us have real comments to make.

Thank you for accepting our anonymous comments. Thank you for giving us a voice. And yes, thank you for being brave enough (and rich enough) to be our front person."

You make an excellent point. Might I say this however. I did NOT stand up to Chief Webster and Barrie Tilghman for Joe Albero. I stood up to them for ALL of YOU. I could have very easily paid each one of them $9,999.00 and walked away a much richer man. The legal fees I incurred was double what I could have paid them. I also created Salisbury News for all of you as well. While I can respect and understand your positions, I have done quite a bit and taken a lot of risks along the way to provide this community a more peaceful environment in which you should be able to say your peace without retaliation from these people. Believe me when I tell you, there isn't a Judge on the entire Eastern Shore that doesn't recognize their behavior and the odds of them winning anything against you at this point is very slim.

I will try to refrain myself from making further comments about anonymous comments with the hope that down the road we, together, can confirm that we are no longer in fear, especially from a man that was hired to protect us in the first place. I thank you for sending in your comment.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely about not wanting to post your name due to retaliation. This is why I went to Joe with my question about the privacy issue. I was uncomfortable with calling The Breast Center at PRMC concerning this woman. If it weren't against the rules I feared ticking her off even more. The problem in this town is how most of the medical offices are now tied into PRMC. If I tick her off will that cause problems for me when I go to my doctors? You know how everyone talks.

Anonymous said...

You are right Joe, this person has the facts in order. Thank you for posting & for the Good you do. EW

citygoer said...

I would love to speak the truth about my employer as well. It would surely get me fired though. Anon is the way to go. One day the truth will set them free. Whats funny is there are alot of ppl out there that already know the truth, they just drink the kool-aid.

Anonymous said...

We know the big government knows who we are. But the local, blue level players, don't know. And we like it.

See me smiling?

We can't overthrow this corrupt government anonymously. But we certainly can wake people up, and educate them anonymously.

Anonymous said...

My employer would fire me in a new york minute. Ha

Anonymous said...

Most of the comments are anonymous
and will most likely remain that way. It is indeed a good way to see how the public feels about issues. I am a radical republican
and there are are a lot of my comments that are not published.
So be it,at least someone read it.
The feds may get involved in some
comments if they feel it is necessary. 40 years ago I would have left my name and address ,
then dared anyone to relatiate.
This is a very difficult time in
history because most victims are
being treated as criminals. The
criminals get away with a smack on the wrist. Ted Nugent is my latest
idol and reminds me of myself , my wife of 40 years thinks Ted and I
are related. Anyway , anonymous
is the glue holding the blogs together.

Anonymous said...

YOU are so full of it. You did all of this for your vendetta. I know it and you know it.

joealbero said...

anonymous 2:29, aka, JT, just to show you just how flat out stupid you are, they sued me. I didn't sue them, NOR did I counter sue either one of them. The vendetta was theirs, not mine. Are you sure you haven't been diagnosed as one of Jerry's Kids.

Anonymous said...

Modestly rich, successful small busines owners all across America are simply outraged about the blogs. There is a lot of desire to reign in the internet, control it, monitor it, end it. In small towns everywhere are local small business owners who are finally being attacked by employees and customers who now have an avenue to lash out. There are several in Salisbury who absolutely HATE this blog. It has changed their lives.
Good. It should. I am glad we have the power to do it. Many of these mini-elites have run rough shod over their employees and customers for far too long. They inherited their business and have no respect for employees or customers. They deserve to be attacked.
If it weren't for the blogs they would still be safe. They and their secret friends could have continued to price fix and generally dominate local politics. I am glad to be an anonymous commenter on a first rate blog dedicated to exposing them and their selfish agendas. Way to go Joe. And way to go anonymous commenters. Give em hell

Anonymous said...

anonymous comments on a local blog are like using the open door policy at your job. Only difference? Usually the open door swings around and hits you in the rear. We can chirp away all day long on this blog!

thanks joe.

Anonymous said...

I think being able to voice your opinion anonymously allows people to be a little more open then they normally would be. Think of it this way, if you worked for Barrie and you expressed your opinion on this blog to someone who she hated soooooo much, you don't think your butt would get canned?? Thanks Joe for continuing to allow us to publish our thoughts anonymously. Sometimes it's just good to get it off our chest. In today's limited job search, you can trust NO ONE. Sometimes you have to bite your tongue more than you want to, trust me (sometimes it was almost bit in half). On the Daily Crimes' website, you have to register to leave a comment. Everyone should have a right to have their opinion heard, not what they choose to sensor. That's why we love coming here so much. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I agree there are many people who wish anonymous commenters did not exist. These are many times, the same people about whom we are commenting. They stand to lose power, money, or both because of information and opinions expressed by anonymous commenters.

I say duck 'em. Just lean forward and let them fly right over your head.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is the reality, especially in this town. It is unfortunate that we have to be anonymous b/c we live in fear of the back lash (employers especially). I personally worked for a local restaurant for many years (one that Joe blogs about often for the negative press it gets) and if I was not able to comment anonymously then I would not be able to comment at all. I would have been fired when I worked there for lookin at the owner the wrong way let alone blogging with my name attatched. It sucks that in a "FREE" country we are still not able to state an opinion w/out fear. Thanks Joe for allowing us to say what we want.

Chimera said...

Its true-alot of small business owners and government offices fear you Joe.They live in fear of appearing here,so who knows what they would do with employees that comment here.

citygoer said...

Bluetoj thats what raises the standard. If there is no checks and balances dept things end up being like they are now. Whats sad is that most local businesses just dont have the overall pride and integrity to have good service and competitive prices. Many businesses on the shore are w/out competition and they know it, which usually means the customer gets screwed. Look at some of the car dealers in Salisbury, most have no competition here. One Toyota dealer, one Honda dealer, one Nissan dealer and just 2 GM and Ford dealers in the area. If you dont have good luck with them, where are you gonna go??? Without the blogs there is that low shore standard that will be ever so present.

Anonymous said...

Joe....Thanks for providing a Voice for the "Anonymous". Sometimes you need to be that way to gain the information and knowledge you need. Some of us in Civic Groups, or Pubilc Position(like Teachers) MUST remain anonymous....anything we say, can and will be used against us!