Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Who Will Fix Our Humane Society?

"I read with interest the comments about the Humane Society concerning the meeting with Ms Lugo, Mr Comegys, Mr Polliott,& Council person. As a matter of fact I read with much interest the entire article. My opinion is the H. Society is wonderful when it comes to finding strays a home. I'm an animal lover & it does my soul good to know they've been saved to live on in this world. HOWEVER, It's been my personal opinion for quite sometime you had better have a comcorder, 10 wittnesses, and a Philadelphia lawyer with you if you ever have the slightest contraversary there. All for your protection, you know. THINGS start to happen whenh 1 person has to much authority & is not accountable to anyone. Can you folks believe that statement? Yep, that's right . THEY ARE NOT HELD ACCOUNTABLE TO ANYONE AND BY ANYONE. It was proven to those authorities attending the meeting with Ms Lugo she'd MADE UP HER OWN DEFENCE when she said she had to have a subpeona to release paperwk. to those poor people whose dog was put down after all the trouble they went to to to find her. You would think the Humane societys 1st priority in the a.m. upon ariving to work would definately be TO CK. THE PHONE MESSAGES BEFORE THEY PROCEDE WITH PUTTING ANIMALS DOWN!!!!! There are some people in this world who have the need to always be right. What was that you said? Did I hear that attitude prevails at our H. Society? Heaven forbid, perhaps so, read on please. It's my understanding many people complaine to Cty. Council thinking THEY were responsible for the H. Society. If any of you out there attended the meeting last yr. concerning the request for CHANGE TO THE COUNTYS DOG LAWS , you would have heard complaints about lack of cooperation from our Wonderful Humane Society. An excellant example of one Ms Lugo taking the law into her own hands was the case of the "sybert " child who was attacked & mauled by 2 dog. These same 2 dogs had previously attacked a Ms Farlow & had bitten her on the foot. She testified a truck stopped to pick her up with these dogs in fast pursuit . The Farlows confronted Ms Lugo as to what was going to be done & that these dogs should be penned to restrain them as they kept breaking lose & people were fearful. Well, guess what folks, NOTHING WAS DONE WITH THESE 2 DOGS BECAUSE MS LUGO TOLD MS FARLOW 'HER BITE WAS NOT BIG ENOUGH'!! You heard it right folks, it's recorded at that meeting 1 yr. ago, in Aug. ,I believe ,of last yr. Yelp you can read that proof for yourselves. Now, folks go bk to our County Dog Laws & you'll see clearly THESE 2 DOGS SHOULD HAVE BEEN RESTRAINED WHEN THEY ATTACKED MS FARLOW. Had this been done, the Syberts child would not have hadI to suffer the physical & mental anguish he went through. I don't know about you folks BUT I think I smell a Law Suit brewing. Who in the heck out there is going to fix this mess.? If more people had the nerve & proof to bk them up , you folks would find out all that glitters "out there' sure as heck aint gold. Now, someone just informed me there's a BOARD that takes complaints about the H. Society. Heard Mr. Comegys just resigned from that board, wow guess that foul language from Ms Lugos statement was to much for him. What do you all recommend? I want our County & Mr Polliott to stand up & stand for something. We need help. Somewhere, somehow, SOMEONES ACCOUNTABLE. MR. BAKER, YOU'RE THE LAWYER. WHO THE HECK IS IT? Remember, grab that camcorder, your 10 wittnesses and that Philadelphia lawyer, You might need them sooner than you think if this mess isn't straightened out .... and SOON!!!

From Worried in Salisbury"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe.
Here's a real issue. PLEASE stay on top of this until somehow it gets resolved. The firemen are all adults. The policemen are all adults. These poor defenseless animals who've been "put down" are TRUE victims with no one as their advocate.
Who is actually the oversight for this organization?
PLEASE stay on this. Tell us, your loyal readers, what we can do to help these animals.

Wymzie said...

The county needs to step in and reorganize this establishment.
If it is funded by the county and the state then they have every right to do so. If it is a private organization, with a board of directors then the board needs to be petitioned again and again until they become responsive to the people.
If no head way is made then people of Wicomico County need to decide if they just want to add an Animal Control Department to their roster of departments, and stop the funding of this apparently renegade organization.
No publicly funded organization should have one single person as it's be all and end all decision maker. Decisions should be made by the board of directors and complaints should be handled there as well.
This nonsense has gone on far too long and this woman needs to be restrained.

Anonymous said...

The humane society is anything but Humane!! I went there to adopt a kitty and i was treated like the worst in the world. Here i am doing my part to help give harmless and helpless animals a home and i had more questions and more paperwork to fill out then when i bought my house. If it was any other place, i would have walked out, but because i was so intent on giving this cat a home, i sucked it up and dealt with the rude and obnoxious people who "work" their. Who would want to help their community when you have to battle with them???

joe albero said...

The answer to your question is as follows. Linda Lugo and the Humane Society answer only to the Humane Society Board. That is, unless it has to do with animal control. Then she is accountable to the City or the County. That's the Official answer. Joe

Anonymous said...

Same old same old... Lugo has Rosie Odonell syndrome, or short man syndrome whatever. I am a person with alternative life style dont like it tuff, and I am going to through my weight around until you like it.

Anonymous said...

9:38
I adopted an abused animal from the Humane Society and also filled out much paperwork. My thought was that I appreciated how thorough the process was so that a poor animal did not go from one abuser to another. It would have bothered me if there was not much done to check on prospective owners.
On the subject of Ms. Lugo's profanity at some meeting, I seem to recall that she was quoting comments made either on the phone or in person to members of her staff. Her point was that the public is often verbally abusive when interacting with the Humane Society. I don't think she was using foul language to address the people present, like "I resent this damn meeting," or "We're dealing with a ton of f--kin' problems." Does anyone else remember that she was quoting the public?

Anonymous said...

Who can we call to voice our complaints? Who can we write to?
Clearly they don't care about the well being and welfare of the animals as much as they care about the power they have over defenseless creatures, and the people of Wicomico county.
Was Comegys on the board representing the City or just as a resident of Wicomico county?

Anonymous said...

Joe,

I've been there several times while looking for a pup. No one behind that counter would help me out. Lucky for me that I had someone with me to open up the door to go into the dog area. This probably isn't a big deal for anyone in normal circumstances but I use a wheelchair to get around. Before we left my friend went to wash his hands while I sat in the front area. Not a single person behind that desk got out of their seats to see if there was something they could help me with. If this had happened once I may have thought I had gone there during their lunch time but thats not so unless thats all they do. We've been there several times and this has happened each time.

I feel sorry for every single animal that has to wait for any of them to come to their aide.

K

Anonymous said...

Last October my house sitter accidently left the front door unlocked and my dog got loose. We drove 4 hours back home to look for him. Several unanswered calls to the HS and I went there. I could here him barking as I entered the building. I showed a very good picture of him and they told me he wasn't there and would not let me look. As I exited the building I distinctly heard his bark. I went back in and he was there. I put him on his leash and walked out.
Riverat

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping our County will take the "bull by the horns" & get matters resolved with this Humane Society. There should be a meeting with Council for proposed New Dog Laws in Oct. If so it should be open to public & possibly at night. Pull together , go see where the Dog Laws stand, than you'll know exactly where we stand in the Cty.!!!Anonymous, & Dog tired!!!