Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

WARNING!!!!!

The Maryland State Police just contacted me in reference to a telephone scam going on here on the Eastern Shore/Salisbury.

Apparently they have received numerous calls today from people concerned about someone calling them at home and identifying themselves as Law Enforcement Officials soliciting money.

If YOU receive one of these calls you are asked to get a telephone number from these people as well as a name and immediately contact the Maryland State Police at 410-749-3101.

Always use caution when you receive a telephone call like this. None of the Law Enforcement Agencies on the Shore do ANY soliciting. The State Police are concerned that these people are praying on good, kind hearted people and do not want to see any of you taken for a ride on such a scam.

If YOU have also received such a c all, don't hesitate to call the State Police Barracks in Salisbury at the number above and report it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,
He states his name is Mike Harris Sheriff of the Wicomico Sheriffs Department. My dad asked him again what his name was and he said Mike Harris and then retracted his statement about him being the sheriff. We told him we already donated to the Sheriff's department (which we did and it was legit).

So if anyone talks to a Mike Harris.. it's not legit!!

Anonymous said...

I have not received any calls from this organization, but I have from the "Police Widows and Childrens Fund". Don't fall for this one either! I asked them how much of the money actually goes to those left behind when an officer dies and after hemming and hawing for about 10 minutes, they finally admitted that only 20% goes to the families. The rest is for "administrative costs". A lot of those that phone scam people will back off very quickly if you push the right buttons.

ALWAYS ASK FOR SOMETHING IN WRITING TO BE SENT TO YOU. Never give out any personal info over the phone except to those to who you have placed a call.

While we are on the subject of scams, please always check your phone bills carefully for erroneous charges. These charges are not from Verizon but are put on there from companies to who you have unwittingly given permission to do so. Just by clicking "I agree" on a websites TOS, or by filling out an entry form for a contest you can give people permission to do all kinds of things. Read the fine print and protect your privacy and identity!

Daddio said...

I received a call today from someone "in Arizona" that claimed to be from the FOP, soliciting donations. In a nutshell, they told me that a uniformed officer would come to my house to "pick up my check" and give me an official "receipt" for my donation.

I cut him off, told him I was busy at the moment, and asked for a number where I could call him back. He offered no number, but said he would call me back later this afternoon (no call was received).

After I ended the call, I checked my caller-ID display, and discovered the number was restricted. Sheesh ...

New cell phone, have not taken the time yet to block out restricted calls ...