Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Mayor Responds To Parking BS!

"As a citizen of Salisbury, I would just like to know why the mayor feels she doesn't have to abide by the law like everyone else? It's a slap in the face to citizen's to watch her do things like not pay for parking and get away with it. I cannot wait till she is out of office. She has no respect for us. Please reply with her reason for not having to pay for parking like the rest of us.

Thank you."
Reply

"Ms. A*%^m:

The mayor, City Council, County Executive & County Council are issued parking passes that allow parking in the downtown. As a part of our jobs, we are required to be in many different places for a great number of events during the course of a week. This was customary for the mayor when I came into office and it has been extended to other elected officials to recognize the demands of their job, as well as the time constraints on local elected officials. I receive no compensation for the trips that I make on behalf of the City to other areas of the State and only a small stipend for local travel; a stipend which has not changed since I came into office ten years ago. I pay all of my own expenses, tolls, food gas and I use my personal vehicle to do the business of the City. Additionally, I attend a great number of events that the City does not pay for, as well as contribute to events and causes that benefit the City, but do not fall into the usual parameters for the City budget to underwrite. For the first half of my terms as
mayor, my salary was $10,000 per year and has risen by $5,000 a year over the past three years so that the mayor makes $25,000 per year. My usual work week is something every day of the week for a routine work week of 50-60 hours a week. I request no health insurance from the City, which for the Council members who receive it costs $10,000 per member per year. I do this because I love the City, the citizens and have been blessed to work with great people and see great projects with enormous potential for the City fulfilled; certainly not because I get a few
dollars worth of parking through the completely legal issuance of a parking permit.

Barrie Tilghman"


Dear Barrie Tilghman:

First of all, let me remind you of a few different things here. Number One, YOU have received a 150% pay raise, quit your belly aching!Number Two, where's the PERMIT? It's certainly NOT in your window. I'll leave the rest to the commenter's on this Blog.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute....it costs $10,000 per year....per Council member for health insurance? No wonder Salisbury doesn't have any money.
If the Mayor and others have permits as stated...I have no problem with that...but like Joe said...it's not displayed in the window (atleast I don't see it in the picture).
The issue at hand I don't think has been remedied by the Mayor's response since someone else (not an elected official) who did not display their "permit" would get a ticket....

Anonymous said...

Must be nice to not have more important things to worry about. BFD!

Anonymous said...

So explain to me then b&*@h why I get a ticket when I go downtown to do business and have to go through a whole damn dog-and-pony show with the City's inept employees in the GOB? Meter will only eat up 40 mins worth of change and the City's own employees hold me up! And F that garage!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see her expense
report every month! Isn't that or
shouldn't that have public access?
Bull sh!t the baker you get a bunn
Bull sh!t me you get none!

Anonymous said...

Why is it the meter maid will write tickets to county and state vehicles with parking passes for an expired meter unless they are parked at two specific areas downtown? Makes you wonder

Anonymous said...

the former parking lady used to write tickets to police cars too. Police also had to borrow parking permits to go to court in their POV's. They couldn't issue one for them to park in the lot for city business.

Anonymous said...

lets give the fire fighters who donate their time free parking also. lets also extend this to the career fire fighter who you decided didnt need a raise this year. biatch

Anonymous said...

Barrie,
This is why I am sick to death of Wicomico County and the City of Salisbury, Maryland; with their high pollutent, big wheelers and thinking your better then thy
folks in "charge". You're suppose to professional law biding representative of the poeple in this area. Your an elected official. Some of your people are appointed. You work for the tax paying, hard working and trying to stay above water people who do pay your salaries. Is this the proper way you and/or your tired, good ole boy (there are some women too) system of things cronies address the public? No, of course not. Is this the way we pay you to talk to us as tax payers? Again, of course not. If I had of parked in those spot for official reason, I would have been ticketed. No matter what official job you or your people are conducting, all of you have to set the example. You should abide by the same rules and regulation you expect the citzens of Wicomico County and Salisbury, Maryland abide by. You and your people have to conduct yourselves in a matter that you expect all of the citizens have too, professionally at all times. But, you don't. You think we are beneath you and your cronies. Ya'll think you can do what ever you want to do without consequences. But, like my mom always said, "All DOGS will have their days". This includes you, Barrie and your broke down cronies. You have done absolutely nothing for the City of Salisbury lately and the representative of Wicomico County has followed your damn stupidty. I can't wait for the election. It's time for you to move forwarded and let someone else led. And, please take some of the official that are in charge of Wicomico County with you. Ya'll have set a very poor example. And I am sick to death of "you people".

Anonymous said...

Dear Barrie: You were not even worth it when we paid you $10,000 a year; you surely are not worth anything more. Stop your infernal whining. Grow up and recognize you cannot run this City--the citizens deserve a total refund from you of the salary paid for the past 10 years. Double-Biatch

Anonymous said...

Barry:

How much are you and your husband worth?! I would think that it is safe to say around a million dollars! How dare you not put a quarter in the meter!

Anonymous said...

You mean she doesn't claim a per diem like Gov. Palin?
Oh the horror!

She probably will, now.

Anonymous said...

putting themselves ahead of taxpayers, it's called abuse of power