Tuesday, January 03, 2017
Delaware man hurt in Istanbul attack says he played dead
GREENVILLE, Del. -- A Delaware man wounded in an attack at a New Year’s Eve celebration in Istanbul says he survived by playing dead.
William Jacob Raak told NBC News he stayed silent and motionless during the attack at a popular nightclub, even after being struck.
“When he shot me I didn’t move - I just let him shoot me,” he said. “I was shot when I was already on the ground. He was shooting people that he had already shot.”
Raak, 35, is a small-business owner from Greenville. The State Department said Monday that he was the only U.S. citizen injured in the attack in Turkey’s largest city.
Raak told NBC he was with a group of nine people, seven of whom were shot, and that he was within inches of the shooter.
at 1/03/2017 11:30:00 AM