It is time now for us to take a stand and cure the disease. As President-Elect Donald J Trump attempts to drain the swamp in Washington, we must do so here on the eastern shore including Sussex and Kent counties in Delaware.
It will take courage, political upheaval, and sadly, likely, blood. One would hope not, but gangs understand one thing and one thing only. Brut strength.
This isn’t a racially driven problem either. There are gangs of all races with one intent. Total domination of their “territory.”
We the citizens are the keepers of the territory. We must take certain actions before this problem gets out-of-hand any further.
1. Demand more of your local city and county leaders. This includes the police and sheriffs departments. It also includes the City and County Councils. When they have meetings, descend on the meeting in numbers.
Get your friends and neighbors to attend. Carry signs in to the meetings. Protest! Make your voices heard. Let them know you’ve had enough and will vote them out if they don’t take action quickly.
2. Insist they work with neighboring counties and cities. Insist upon an inter-county, interstate, inter-city undercover task force to rout out gang leaders and their followers.
Insist they be relentless, be ruthless, but within the bounds of the Constitution. Raid them. Arrest them. Take out their lieutenants and infrastructure of both personnel and money.
Create a leadership gap making it unlikely for anyone else to step up and lead the gang. Destroy them via incarceration, and if they insist upon shoot-outs, aim straight and true.
This task force, because nothing was done when the problem first reared its ugly head, will have to operate Elliot Ness style.
3. Significant rewards should be placed upon gang leaders heads. They aren’t surrounded by the most loyal principled people to begin with. Make the reward substantial. $50,000 a head for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the gang leader. $10,000 for lieutenants and mid-level gang management.
Give the whistleblower witness protection including for their family. Give the gangs NO QUARTER.
4. Pass local laws that gang members convicted are placed in solitary confinement 4 weeks on, and 1 day off for the term of their incarceration.
Keep them from colluding behind bars. Isolation and re-education would be the way the law should be mandated. Focusing on rehabilitation would be crucial in preventing further gang related activity upon release.
5. Place undercover police in the schools to rout out gang members in the schools. Educate the children so they don’t need to be incarcerated.
Juveniles arrested and convicted should be given tough love by the county. Place them in solitary confinement also, but slowly, as they earn it, allow them to be put back in general population.
Re-education behind bars would do them a world of good and by catching them young, perhaps put them on course for a life out-of-crime.
6. Stand up as citizens. Show up en mass with legal weapons at the Centre at Salisbury and other areas where gangs think they own the territory.
A huge diverse group of men, white, black and brown, carrying baseball bats, batteries and ball bearings in their pockets, to be thrown if necessary, can do much to disabuse gangs of their territory.
Insist on a police presence in shopping centers parks and schools.
7. Fight for your right to safe streets. Get your elected officials on board or kick them off the train. Of course the concern about money to fund these efforts will be brought up. But remember...this is an investment in our community east of the Chesapeake.
If you think you can deal with gangs in a namby-pamby way, they will control your city, make you afraid to be on your own streets and continue to diminish your happiness in life. The gangs and each member of a gang, must be made to feel more afraid of the citizenry than their gang.
Don’t ask me how I know. It doesn’t matter. But my life experience with gangs has informed me that the only way to deal with gangs is with harsh laws, brut force and a determined citizenry. Stand up!
Please comment below on what you would be willing as a citizen to do. What do you think should be done? Please, no racist comments.
“Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it.”
Yours in the Constitution,