Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

My Coming Out Story: Telling My Liberal Parents I’m Pro-Life

Washington, DC (LiveActionNews) — Mom, Dad, I’m pro-life.

The day I “outed” myself to my ultra-liberal family, I was terrified. These are the people who basically tried to bully me into aborting my son (aka, their grandson) back in 2011. Lord knows I love them, but I was seriously considering taking this to the grave.

You’ve got to understand that I’ve always been the person in my family to keep my opinions to myself. Thank goodness I didn’t do that when I found out I was pregnant at 17 years old.

Sierra and her husband.

I can date back several family issues that came up where I would nod my head and go to my room to keep from saying what I thought. By that time, my thoughts sounded like screams, and my ears would burn.

It’s very interesting to me that I’ve done this, because my parents have always encouraged my brother and me to speak our minds. And to be fair, sometimes I did. I was in the GSA in high school. I helped lead a peace rally. But should I go against my family’s beliefs?

I know this spiritual transformation I’ve been going through might look completely foreign to members of my family, but really it shouldn’t. They drove me to church, dropped me off, and then picked me up. I loved church. I’ve always loved God. I’ve always loved the messages of Jesus Christ.

Now, at 19, I am taking these things more seriously and trying to live like a Christian in every aspect of my life. I’ve noticed the gifts God has given me that I’ve stuffed down for so long. I have a voice.I’ve always used this voice in music, and my parents were always blown away by my sometimes very dark, deep lyrics.

At some point, your ears are burning too much that you just POP! Well, now I use my voice.

More

No comments: