Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Local Cops Asked To "Hug A Thug" On The Shore



That is what Law Enforcement calls it, "Hug A Thug" and they aren't too happy with the whole concept.

In reality its called the Highpoint Initiative. Eastern Shore States Attorneys have been pushing this program and we'd like your opinion on it. However, I have to be fair to both sides of the program first.

Here's how it works. Local Law Enforcement does a sting and catches criminals dealing drugs on video. When they arrest the "thug", some are offered the chance to get into this program in which they will not be arrested. Instead, (those selected) go into this program that is monitored by one LE representative. 

The intent, it gives someone the chance to STOP dealing drugs permanently. 

However, I have spoken to some LE Officers who are NOT at all happy with this program. It was first picked up by Joel Todd in Worcester County and some say is was a major failure and cost him his re-election as States Attorney. Its been reported to me that many of the "thugs" in the program were not properly monitored and went right back to criminal activity. Mind you, this is what I have been told.

That being said, I took the time to call Joel Todd to discuss this matter and I was told, "Mr. Todd is not allowed to speak to you unless it is related to a case". So, once again this will be a ONE SIDED article.

Police Officers are working diligently to reduce drug activity here on the Shore. So much so, they make the arrest with hard evidence and then the "thug" simply walks with the chance they might get right back into their past. Don't get me wrong though, the program does give select people a second chance at going straight but one has to deeply wonder, how many white people vs. black people are considered for this program. This is information I could not get today because I'm not allowed to speak to the person who spearheaded the program. Perhaps the NAACP can have better luck garnishing these answers.

On the other side of the coin, in Salisbury, 12 "thugs" were considered for the program but only 3 were accepted and all 3 are still allegedly in the program. 

Here's what's important here Ladies & Gentlemen, IN MY OPINION. With such liberal programs in place and being tested, how large will this program get in the near future. Now, IF they expand the program and these people aren't actually arrested, CRIME APPEARS to go DOWN on the books, which IS the goal of such crime riddled areas and we are certainly one of them.

I can tell you that I was recently the recipient of a crime in Pittsville. Actually, three of them. The last time they actually caught the "thugs" and arrested them. They were juveniles. When I received a follow up call they asked me to get an estimate for the damage and quite frankly, these guys didn't have time to cause much damage and or steal much. Because of my schedule, I haven't had the time to meet with companies at the building to get estimates.  

GUESS WHAT, because I didn't get an estimate in the time frame they stated, ALL CHARGES ARE BEING DROPPED. Even though they were caught breaking in and entering my building, even though they confessed, THERE IS NO CRIME. 

WHY, because crime is WAY TOO HIGH in Salisbury and Wicomico County, so, just let them go.

So here's the big question. Do you think this program AND the idea if you don't get an estimate within 30 days for a crime, is Maryland headed down the right track AND are we really being informed of just how bad crime really is here on the Shore?

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the time frame for getting estimates is fine. No one is that busy! If it's important to you, you will make the time. Choices!

Anonymous said...

Just what kind of "Thug" would want to be in this program? Everybody knows that criminals associating and cooperating with law enforcement is a big no-no in the criminal world. Ever heard the motto, "snitches get stitches?" They may not be snitching, but others will probably see it that way. So say I'm the thug receiving the "hugs" for dealing drugs, what are all of my associates going to think of me? I sure as hell wouldn't be trusted amongst my criminal friends so, yeah, I would likely NOT be selling drugs anymore, but I would be vulnerable to attacks, threats, violence, death, etc. In knowing these repercussions from my peers for being in the Hug a Thug program, I doubt that I would be interested. This program might work for extremely small time criminals, but that's just a pebble in the pond. Another waste of time and money...

JoeAlbero said...

11:44, Well, you are probably right. I can't say that in my heart I didn't feel for these young men because I did. My HOPE was that law enforcement would scare the living crap out of them to the point they'd never do it again. As I stated, they are juveniles and that is NOT the way to start off your young life with such a record on your shoulders. HOWEVER, that wasn't MY CALL. That, (or so I had grown up to know) is how it usually goes. What the hell does an estimate have to do with ANYTHING. They were caught, arrested, confessed, a crime DID happen. I'm NOT trying to come back on these kids, not at all. I'm simply EDUCATING the general public things YOU NEVER KNEW was going on.

Your LEADERS in Wicomico County are fudging rime. YOU should know this come the next election and who is not only behind it but what candidates support it.

Anonymous said...

This method has been tried in the past , it don't work. Embrace crime is not a solution to crime.
Penalties that suit the crime are proven.

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I have been saying all along this is what Matt Maciarello told me. So essentially what is happening is criminals are not getting charged for their crimes so this looks as though crime is down. This is a feel good thing that was designed by Jim Ireton, Matt Maciarello and Barb Duncan to fudge the numbers.

CRIME is happening in Salisbury and it is happening daily. The Johnson Street area was high in crime so they picked that neighborhood. Crime is happening, but they are not getting charged so it looks like crime is down.

What a FARCE!!

MATT M ...THIS ONES FOR U. said...

Arrest a thug then Hug them.....Get the f out of here....Let the states attorney hug them ALL.....

Anonymous said...

More like arrest a thug, then hang the thug. Stop coddling criminals.

Anonymous said...

Getting estimates is about 1. value of destruction can be used to classify the charge. 2. If you don't fill out an estimate report, essentially there is no loss. Kind of like no harm, no foul. At least that would be my guess.

Is this a good program? Maybe for youthful offenders for whom there is still hope.

JoeAlbero said...

12:39, LET ME EDUCATE YOU BLEEDING HEART LIBERALS AGAIN.

THEY BROKE INTO MY BUILDING. They forced their way in.

WHAT DON'T YOU GET ABOUT THAT CRIME?

A crime was committed PERIOD. I do NOT care what damage was done, they broke into my building by force and ADMITTED to it. Witnesses SAW THEM do it.

Has Sheriff Lewis now become a LIBERAL too? Does Sheriff Lewis now have a soft heart for criminals as well as our States Attorneys?

SURE LOOKS LIKE IT TO ME.

Anonymous said...

drug dealing is illegal and they knew as much beforehand. if you want to stop it, kill the dealers and the users. now THATS permanent!

Anonymous said...

The state attorney should try spending time in a courtroom instead of running for re-election. Not impressed.

Anonymous said...

Americas justice system , laughing stock of the world.
It's no wonder all the criminals from all countries come here.
Take from us , steal ,rob ,assault and we just want to hug em. Don't you just love this crap!

LastMohican said...

I think it worked out that way because it was YOU, Joe. If it happened to any one else, they would be charged.

JoeAlbero said...

I have some answers.

Of the three people in this program, two are white and one is black. I can also tell you the head of the local NAACP does participate with the Safe Streets program and is aware of who is in the system.

A good point was also made in defense of this program. While speaking to my source they said, Joe, you were in business for a lot of years and those business who refused to change and try new things are now gone, I agreed.

By trying new things, (like this program) it gives a select few a chance at getting their life straight and if they fail they go right to Jail and the original charges come right back on them.

Also keep in mind, these "thugs" are caught ON VIDEO, so its not as if they'd have a chance if they failed the system. It seems pretty fail proof.

The question I asked was, are we really being informed of just how bad crime is here on the Shore and the real answer is, NO. However, are we becoming more educated because of Blogs, YES.

You might say as well that "Drug Court" is pretty similar to this program as convicted inmates are given the opportunity to get back to normal life, hold a job and get out of Jail IF they follow the strict "Drug Court" program.

We are getting a bit soft on crime but I have to agree, we MUST look at new ways to curb the drug problem here on the Shore.

Now, all that said, NORM CONWAY is part of the problem. Because Norm refuses to fund more Parole and Probation Officers, it is impossible for EACH Officer to handle 600 to 700 cases at a time.

Even though the "Highpoint Initiative" and "Drug Court" are policed within the States Attorneys Office, there are MANY MORE cases on the street that are monitored by Parole & Probation.

We need Carl Anderton elected and we need to send Norm Conway home and even my strongest opposition can NOT and will NOT argue that with me.

JoeAlbero said...

Mike, if you have something to say to me, call. Please don't use anonymous.

Anonymous said...

#1 the kids have the right to fast and speedy trial same as you or anyone else for that matter.
2# your claiming property damages as a result of a attempted break in. (Im guessing as you never stated what the kids/thugs did).
#3 you failed to show the courts in reasonable amount of time your damages. Hence if the prosecution can't show damage its hard to make a case for a break in or property damages.

Now as to the hug a thug lmao sounds like something that was dreamed up in the Mayors office in Salisbury.

PS. I need a hug! Lmao Salisbury your town is turning into Obama land . You could start a theme park for new revenue and call it obamabury

Anonymous said...

3:09 PM

Even without monetary damage, breaking and entering is still a CRIME.

Honestly, I don't see what is so hard to understand.

Anonymous said...

monetary loss is not an element of the crime of breaking and entering therefore no estimate is required to prosecute the case.

Anonymous said...

FU Albero, why should Mike call you? All you have done is slander his good name for the past 2 years. You really don't keep friends very long do you?

Anonymous said...

At minimum, they were trespassing. That is a crime and there is no need to show damages. Usually the amount of damage or value of items stolen is used to determine if the crime is a misdemeanor or felony. Without providing a value, it would still be a misdemeanor crime. Sounds like selective prosecution to me.

Anonymous said...

Moochelle has to hug a Thug every night before she goes to bed

JoeAlbero said...

3:42, I keep plenty of friends. My real friends know who I am and what I'm about.

I also keep an incredible Wife.

Funny though, how someone anonymous seems to try to suggest I sit home all alone all by my lonesome, no friends.

Now, let's see. Tonight I'll be out and about with some friends supporting a local bar/restaurant in Salisbury, like I do once a week, every week.

Tomorrow my Boys will arrive from Annapolis to spend the weekend with their Father. I'll have the pleasure of my Granddaughter celebrating her Birthday tomorrow with her Grandparents and we'll head to Ocean City. We'll ride all the kiddie rides and do whatever that special little girl wants to do. Then we'll go to a restaurant, (all 8 of us) and support yet another local restaurant.

Saturday night we'll burn a bon fire and make smores.

Sunday I'll get up bright and early, collect the eggs from our chickens and make egg, ham and cheese samiches on Thomas English Muffins, coffee and fruit drinks.

Yeah, it's a LONELY life but somebody has to do it.

in the mean time I'll pop in every so often and process hundreds of comments, with the unfortunate exception of an a hole like you. I'll reject yours from here on out.

Have a nice weekend.I know I will.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a nice life, Joe!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
FU Albero, why should Mike call you? All you have done is slander his good name for the past 2 years. You really don't keep friends very long do you?

March 21, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Well obviously you are not one. And I wonder how many friends someone like you would have.

I mean, QUALITY friends, not drinking buddies.

Anonymous said...

Cops will hug a heroin dealer but shoot and kill someone getting an inspection?
Ok, got it.

Anonymous said...

No just shoot those trying to run them over with a car.

Anonymous said...

When we enact "shoot a thug", life may improve.

Until then, well....

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
When we enact "shoot a thug", life may improve.

Until then, well....

March 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Yeah that might work better. Shoot the thugs instead of trying to run them down.