Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, May 21, 2012

Mayor Ireton Makes It Up As He Goes Along






Over the weekend Mayor Jim Ireton was published as saying no longer with certain Blogs say there's a parking problem Downtown. He suggested that Salisbury News had claimed there was no parking and went on to say he wanted to surplus the parking lots because there's so much open space in the parking garage.

Now, considering I am not a POLITICIAN and I tell the TRUTH, let's get a few things straight here. The ONLY parking problems I suggested was for those handicapped people only having ONE parking spot in lot 15 at the west end of the Plaza. You all do remember that, right? I did mention that on Thursday's there's an issue with metered parking spots being available when the Opportunity Shop opens. I went on to explain how many people are being ticketed because there isn't enough available parking IN THAT LOT.

You have to love it when a politician twists your words and makes his entire speech revolve around false facts. I guess we'll see a lot more of that down the road from him but the cool part will be, in those debates I'll be able to confront each and every one of those lies head on and he will look like a fool.

Nevertheless, look at the photos above. OK Jim, you want everyone to park at the parking garage. What about the elderly or handicapped? I know, you couldn't care less because that's the selfish kind of guy that you are. IF you had thought about it I'm sure you would have mentioned them but now we can all know you've been called out and you'll now have a plan for them as well. IF you cared you would have already FIXED the parking problem for the handicapped weeks ago after we exposed it.

Salisbury can no longer afford to have a child who speaks well running the City with bogus lines and borrowed money. Downtown will get revitalized without section 8 housing and government grants. My plan rebuilds Downtown with private funds in which businesses will be lining up to make offers for properties above and beyond their asking price. Yes, that's right, it will get done. If you want to know how, come by 300 W. Main Street like hundreds of other people have and I'll tell you how. You'll walk out of my Office with your jaw on the ground amazed at how no one ever thought of it.

I have shared it with young people as well as old people and not one person has said a negative thought. Everyone said they thought it was the greatest idea anyone has ever come up with. My plan is to remove a majority of parking meters Downtown without ever losing a PENNY. My plan is to beautify Downtown without costing the taxpayers a PENNY. My plan is NOT a fantasy. Its not election words. My plans are REALISTIC and fiscally responsible.

Now, if you want affordable housing, if you want to give away valuable riverfront property and create an inner city within 10 years, well, you'll vote for Jim Ireton, should he actually choose to run. I'll not subject you to such falsehoods. Politicians want to sell you on stuff like Ireton is proposing and figure they'll be gone in a few years. Then they'll point the finger at whomever is in office 10 years down the road, just like the Fire Boat, as an example.

I say eliminate all of the parking meters as long as I can show you and prove to you there's another way to raise that money. Stop by and let me show you how it can be done. Again Mr. Ireton, I have a platform to counter your BS in the Daily Times. We'll just see who wins in the end.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joe for setting the facts straight. Jim Ireton is doing just like you said in yesterday's article -

HE IS RUNNING SCARED

He is trying to grab straws hoping to salvage a political campaign that is doomed to fail. I truly wish that Ireton had made some headway - but in light of the current State of Salisbury - our household is going to stick with ALBERO FOR MAYOR.

Anonymous said...

A picture is worth a thousand words, you could not have described it any better.

Ireton has lost touch with reality in my humble opinion. It is time for him to be pastured.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes people should just own up and say you know your right and correct the problem. It is ok to say I made a mistake it goes a long way in the end. Like in the mayors case he should of just seen the problem that was brought up and just corrected it. Joe you have my vote.

Anonymous said...

How can the mayor ask the handicap people to park in the garage.

Anonymous said...

The part about " Now if you want affordable housing" is the only thing I may need clarification on although he would NEVER get my vote. The clarification I am looking for is, I don't need section 8 because I am lucky to have a job and work 40 hours a week. I make less than 30,000.00 a year and am divorced. I can't afford most rents whether it be an apartment or a house because a nice one, with a reputable landlord/owner is too much unless I have a room mate. $800.00 and higher for a 1 bedroom at that cost does not leave me enough for car payment and insurance after utility bills are paid. I have done the math and know myself that it's not possible. I'm almost 60 years old and the idea of a 2nd job is more than I can take. I make too much for the 55 and older places and not enough for the others. I am sure that I am not the only one in this position. I know Mr. Joe can't perform miracles but I would like to see a few landlords, and I know many of them read this site, to come up with a plan that is based on, not section 8 but have their own program for those of us who just want a place to call home. The last place that I applied for told me I made $84.11 too much a year to qualify even though they knew I could pay my rent on time and in full. Guide lines are set by the Federal Govt. Can't the landlords establish a few of their own? Sorry for the long post.

Anonymous said...

It was obvious the housing was going to be of the government subsidized variety--nice to see the elites of Salisbury lining up to gorge at the Government trough of taxpayers dollars. Downtown will be just an extension of Fitzwater street--more ghetto, Yay!!!

Anonymous said...

Ireton has to be one of small minded people in this town.

Anonymous said...

Mayor Ireton has proven his tunnel vision. He gets fed facts that he stirs up and sends them flying out of his mouth to see where it will stick.
Once again the proof is shown

Anonymous said...

4:57, I thought I had written that. I am a couple years older, but in the same place. Thank you for talking for me. Millie

Anonymous said...

I think we have some backdoor politics going on here.

Anonymous said...

I saw the same Escalade parked in the only handicapped spot you are talking about. I saw the driver and they didn't look handicapped to me. There is also a Expedition that parks all over town in handicapped spots. He has a sticker but he is not handicapped. I think it must belong to a relative or someone he knows.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Jimbo is up to the task of running against you.

Anonymous said...

Laura must be looking for new subsidized digs to move into.

Anonymous said...

Let me give you a little fact about the parking garage. There cameras dont work and last time I was in the garage on the upper floor hadicapped rescue intercom had a big sign over it saying out of service. Its located in one of the stair landings closest to one plaza east.