Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Why Fewer Young American Jews Share Their Parents' View of Israel

"I'm trembling," my mother says, when I tell her I'm working on an article about how younger and older American Jews are reacting differently to the Palestinians' bid for statehood at the United Nations. I understand the frustrations of the Palestinians dealing with ongoing settlements construction and sympathize with their decision to approach the U.N., but my mom supports President Obama's promise to wield the U.S. veto, sharing his view that a two-state solution can be achieved only through negotiations with Israel.


"This is so emotional," she says as we cautiously discuss our difference of opinion. "It makes me feel absolutely terrible when you stridently voice criticisms of Israel."


More


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The writer's part about her "liberal, humanist worldview" is the key to the rest of the story.

If she had an Old Testament biblical view she'd reach different conclusions.

lmclain said...

What amazes me the most about all these youthful and liberal "lets all come together and love each other" people is their apparent lack of understanding in regard to who the Israeli's are dealing with...each and EVERY one of the nations around Israel want them DESTROYED. Annihilated. Gone. Forever. There will be no peace with any of them, no matter what Israel gives up or trades, because those people (Iranians, Egyptians, Syrians, Palestinians, etc) want Israel to disappear. Play all the "feel good" storylines you want. The snake will still bite you, no matter what he "promises" NOT to do.

Anonymous said...

Im Clan.
I believe the snake is Israel. Sorry