Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, August 01, 2011

The Salisbury Zoo: The Pride Of Salisbury?

What was once the Pride of Salisbury and allegedly the #1 Small Zoo in America is now an eye sore riddled with overgrown weeds and broken equipment.

How the Zoo can make claim that they know how many people are coming through the Zoo gates every day is beyond me. In the last picture is an empty box that used to house the beam that counted people coming and going in the Zoo. There was no sign of a replacement unit anywhere to be found.

The first picture shows the Zoo hours, far less than they used to be. So just what is the Zoo Staff doing with their time. Do their own personal homes have overgrown weeds and fallen down railings like shown above.

I had truly thought and believed under the new leadership that we would see PRIDE. When is the last time the Mayor walked through the gates? Better yet, have the City Council Members seen these conditions?

When we went by, the Zoo was closed. I have to wonder, is the inside just as bad? It must be because the entrance is just horrible. You can click on any image to enlarge them.

Perhaps its time to re visit the Salisbury Zoo and see what's going on inside.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't even think of going inside. Its a whole lot worse.

Kerrie said...

I agree that such a wonderful treasure should be maintained and beautiful, however, that doesn't come cheap!
Our Zoo receives some government support but must rely upon THE CITIZENS OF THE EASTERN SHORE WHO UTILIZE IT AND CARE ABOUT IT to financially and physically support it as well. We have adopt a highway programs, why doesnt a group adopt the zoo for a week at a time to weed and the like?
The Zoo makes our area very unique and needs our support if it is to continue. Instead of pointing the finger and asking "who will fix this?" we should be asking "can my group help?" "Am I a member of the zoo?"

Anonymous said...

I have emailed them so many times letting them know I would like to help with weeding, mulching, anything to make it a nicer place. I was even told about some dream green team, to no avail. My children are now noticing and asking why I won't go and weed for them when they are in school. After numerous emails, several phone calls I gave up. One day this will see me and likely my 5 year old in tow, with gloves on weeding some of the overgrown beds...wonder what they would say??

Anonymous said...

I ain't going there in the heat of the day or when I'm working. I'll go there in the evening when it cools off and it's feeding time.

Oops, they're closed then.

Anonymous said...

I recently visited the zoo with my children. We had a hard time finding the animals in some of the exhibits because the weeds are so overgrown. Very sad. We love the zoo and donate every single time we step foot in there.

Jack K Richards said...

What a shame. Can recall some memorable times at the Zoo. When I was a Jaycee we were responsible for the jaguar, I think. Just another case of Salisbury losing a lot of it's luster.

Anonymous said...

budget cut i understand mon

but still can have pride

put da vibe to work

Anonymous said...

When someone mentions going to the zoo I just laugh. I would rather spend the money and fight DC traffic to go to the Washington Zoo than step foot in the Salisbury Zoo again. I went with my children's school for a yearly field trip for 4 years and have no desire to go independently. Matter of fact if they had another school field trip to the Salisbury Zoo I would keep my kids home that day. There are always sickly looking animals there, the stench is unbearable at times from under kept pens, the place looks like a dump, without fail there are animals that have no water and one year I could have swore there was a deer dead or at least near death as the breathing was shallow and it was lying on it's side against a fence from the morning until the afternoon when we left.

Anonymous said...

I recently went for a walk through the zoo and was shocked to see the condition that it was in. My grandchildren were visiting last week and we wanted to take them to the zoo after dinner when it is a little cooler...CLOSED!