Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Where's The Veterans, Where's The Priests, Where's The AFP & NAACP?


In one breath you have Shanie Shields back stepping from the original proposal to remove the Lord's Prayer and now the Pledge of Allegiance. Oh, she never supported such a move. Well, last night, soon after the Mayor's Prayer Vigil, the majority of the Salisbury City Council voted to remove both from the Rules of Order. That includes Shanie Shields. I also found it ironic that Laura Mitchell, the council member who instigated all of this, showed up at the Prayer Vigil.
However, where are the Veterans, the Priests, the AFP, the NAACP and everyone else who might want to have a say in this matter? I'll tell you where, they're absent and have been ever since this whole thing started a few months ago.
Since I posted on this matter last night, an anti-Albero blogger set out on a campaign to ALL of our advertisers stating I was a blatant racist. The dumb part on their behalf was that they actually sent the entire post along with it and clearly it had no racism in it whatsoever. How these people live with their actions is beyond me but I was grateful many of our advertisers replied back in support of Salisbury News.
One advertiser said:


"Thank you for your comments, I myself am an American of Native American and Irish decent. I have been reading SBYNews for a couple years and have never read anything I would consider, Blatant Racism. Though I will admit I don't read it every day, so I could have missed something. I know Joe Albero enough to know that he stands by MLK's statement about judging people not by the color of ones skin, but there content of character. Most all Repub' and concerves do. I also know he will remove comments he considers distasteful, it is his site he has the right. But remember, he is human, things may get past him. If it does, bring it to his attention, he is quite easy to contact, unlike the Time's. Again, Thank you for your comments and concerns. I will be forwarding this to Joe. And I will keep your email address on file in-case I find something in the future."

Am I to now be afraid to show pictures of any Afro-American? Am I to be afraid of using the words Afro-American or African-American? Am I missing something here. Will our advertisers get more fictitious letters from the Pope @ymail.com? Some call Councilwoman Terry Cohen a Jew. Well, she is a Jew, what's the big deal. Some people say black, some say African-American, heck, many of them call one another the N-Word. Make up your minds, will ya.
In my personal opinion we are ALL Americans. I personally feel that stuff about African-American is a load of crap. You are either an American, (which 99% were born here) or you were born in Africa and are here on a visa. When you become a citizen you are then an American, I just don't get it. Nevertheless, I make no apologies for my post. I find it hilarious that not one comment came in calling me a racist, not one.
Some people never seem to be satisfied and constantly look back instead of forward. Look at the picture above. Have ANY of you seen ANY of these people at ANY Council Meeting in the past (other than Lore Chambers)? I certainly haven't. While I'm all for a Prayer Vigil for ANY reason, throwing politics into the mix truly ticks me off.
Let me throw another issue into the mix here. I called Mayor Ireton's office last week because out of nowhere the Mayor has chosen to not send any press releases to any of the blogs any more. It seems the Mayor is trying to pound his chest towards anyone who disagrees with him. I explained to John Pick that it seemed funny to me that when the Mayor NEEDS something, I am the first one he sends his message to.
I have received several text messages from the Mayor with his intent to think I would simply JUMP on what he was saying and go right to publishing it. When I researched his alleged facts, he did not tell the truth and was completely wrong. I challenged him back with my findings and he simply got pissed off. Yesterday, isn't it interesting how Joe Albero and Salisbury News got a press release from the Mayor's office referencing the Prayer Vigil. As you can see, when it's convenient for some, we're the go to place to get it out there.
As I stated earlier, the majority of people who showed up for the Prayer Vigil are not regulars at a Council Meeting. Yet they want to focus on "Afro-American" but not Prayer or the Pledge of Allegiance. If they cared about what is important here they would have attended the Council Meeting in protest. Or do I have it all wrong and it was more about bringing religion into politics when it's CONVENIENT for them as well?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah make up your mind.

Anonymous said...

People will go to any extreme to satisfy their ego.
The race card has been used for many years to get people on their side.
When you reference people of color, it can be said in many ways. People of color , Afican American , black ,colored ,Negro or Afo- American if you like.
In closing ,I would like to say that I truely believe that racism exist in all of us to some extent.
My opinion of the prayer vigil is :
1. If it came from the heart , it is good.
2. If it came for political gain (which I believe) it is bad
3. If shanie keeps playing with fire she will get burnt.

Joseph Albero said...

It's a shame some comments are coming through with curse words in them. Come on people. Perfectly good comments thrown away because of a few harsh words.

Anonymous said...

I'm sort of new to reading blogs, so I'm not sure which blog you are talking about, but it doesn't sound like one I would want to read. I did,however, wonder why you would say the folks attending were "three African Americans" instead of just saying three other people. One could ask what is the point of that?

Joseph Albero said...

anonymous 2:20, did you actually read the Post?????

The people mentioned have never been seen at a Council Meeting. IF there were three Hispanic people I would have mentioned that too, or is that racist? Kind of like we had done in the past where SAPOA members paid non english speaking hispanic people to come to a meeting and hold signs.

Would I be offended if I attended a NAACP Meeting and I was mentioned as the only white person there.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Quit trying to make this something it is not. Then take the time to read the entire article.

Anonymous said...

You lie about your contact with the mayor.

Joseph Albero said...

anonymous 2:32, I thought about just rejecting your stupid comment but instead I'll challenge you with the following. PROVE that I am a liar. I have two witnesses who read his text messages to me.

Nevertheless, let's see you get out of this one. Do tell everyone how you know for a fact I'm a liar. You guys are so stupid.

Anonymous said...

Hey 2:20
get a life and don't try to make waves , you are the racist for thinking and making such a comment.
It was very obvious that there were 3 African Americans there.
No dogs , no cats , no horses at the time there were no whites.
These people as well as whites were defined by the color of their skin. I'm sure they were proud of it , as I would be.

Anonymous said...

I don't know that, in this particular instance, you have it all wrong, but often you do.

Anonymous said...

The City Counsel and Mayor are jokes and the laughing stock of Salisbury, they have no ability to run their own lives let alone a city that is starting to crumble and it will be to late to put back together. Salisbury isn't the place to live.

Anonymous said...

i agree 200% with 5:36 pm

Anonymous said...

There is nothing here to do. This city is going to be a ghost town in ten years. We are not business friendly,we don't have parks or activities for the children the river is so dirty you can't ever swim in it. Thanks to the darn waste water plant.

Anonymous said...

Joe said; "Will our advertisers get more fictitious letters from the Pope @ymail.com?"

the answer to that Joe is, sadly, yes. Those creeps will never stop. Don't let them get to you and frankly I wouldn't acknowledge them at all when they do such stupid and hateful things. Letting them know that they have gotten your attention will only give them gratification. Ignor'em. My mother always said "ignore the ignorant and they will go away"

Anonymous said...

Obama does not do either in the White House so "wat up yo?"

Anonymous said...

As an African decent, I do consider myself a 53 year old veteran women of color.
All this negro, afro, colored, black, african and "N" identification is nothing but history; good or bad.
Who cares.
What citizens should be concern about is the debt ceiling being raised or not.
How big corporation and millionaires/billionaires are reaping benifits on the backs of the middle class and poor.
How active duty military members are fighting in a war for no good reason.
How the unemployment rate continues to rise.
How the educational system is failing our children.
How this couontry is in a turmoil at this time.
And, the light inthe tunnel has yet to been seen.
We have this country first American President of color and his fighting for the rights of all people.
This man is stuck between a very hard rock and a hard place.
Republicans are acting like universal gods.
Democrates are acting as if they are too scare to look at their own shadow.
And, some of you are worrying about the pledge of allegance, church groups, pray vigils and the NAACP in this area.
Let's be real, the NAACP chapter, pledge of allegance, pray vigils, and all the church groups / organization line up alongside the route of Jersey Road/West Road in this area has never done a thing for the people of this community; especially our young men and women of color.
Had they kept up with the going on's, paid attention and the churches got more involved in their communities with our young "Black" sons and daughters and protected their well being for the past 20 years, most if not majority of our local young adults would not be living at WCDC.
This community is dying and has been dying slowly for many years. We are not business friendly.
We our not teaching our children survival skills that they will most definitely need if they should move away rom the eastern shore.
Our parents may lose their social security and medicare because of the greed of the rich.
And, their children may be unemployed or unable to take care of their parents, childrens or even friends.
The poor, middle class and unemployed will be at loose ends especially if the debt ceiling is not raised by August 2, 2011.
Who are you going to blame?
President Obama, prays, NAACP, the plegde of allegance, white, black, afro, africans, negroes, blacks, colored, red, blue, green, the rainow of colors, "N" word, racism or the council members.
Blame yourself for not paying an attention to detail.
We have a national crisis going on and you people are worried about a group of council men/women of this area you all voted for that hasn't done anything for us since they've been voted into office.
Further, you want to dump on a man (Joe Alberto) racist or not who has told nothing but the truth about this ragged time community that very well may be dead in ten years.
You people better get a grip.
Their are more important things that need to be address in this community like the plot of our young people whether they are white and/or people of color, especially the men.
And, you better watch the news and see how the house of representative / senate IS undermining and disrespecting the President of this here United States of America.
It doesn't matter what his nationality is.
Because, if you blink an eye and think the next president will be better; you'll have a president who feels and have signed a pleged with a big corporation that reads; "black" babies were better off in slavery then they are under this presidency and in a household with a single mother.
You people better get a grip.
Is this the kind of town, city, state or country you want in the very near future?
Enslaved by the rich and big corporation who really don't give a damn about people of ALL colors, NAACP, pray vigils, the pledge of allegance, and most of all freedom and free will.

Anonymous said...

With so many religions, I guess I can see where they may be hard pressed to find a prayer that will satisfy everyone and offend no one, especially in the day of "political correctness" however, we are ALL Americans and omitting the pledge of allegiance just doesn't make sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Lore Chambers is another overpaid buffoon feeding at the public trough. Salisbury will be the winner if she becomes Pollitt's "chief-of-staff" assuming the Wicomico County Council is stupid enough to approve that.

Anonymous said...

Pollitt's "chief of staff"? YOu have got to be joking.

Anonymous said...

Dear 9:17,
You are correct in your comment , however , crap rolls down hill.
The Feds. set the example(which is Obama). Then the state and county etc.. He promised change and his promise is crap.
We are living in bad times with no change in sight.
We have lost our values and religion.
I don't care if you like it or not, since Obama was elected ,black crime has increased 200%, because they can.
The majority of crimes committed per population are done by blacks.
This is a bad reflection on our people of color.
It is beyond me why we hide from the truth , The NAACP has come a long way , the truth is ,if they accepted the truth there would be no need for them.
The NAACP is the largest racist group in the world.