Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, July 02, 2011

A Comment Worthy Of A Post

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Wicomico County Humane Society":

I am amazed to see all this people BASHING the Humane Society~ I have not dealt with Ms. Lugo but I have had many dealings with the staff of The Humane Society. If you people think they are over paid and underworked may you should stop sitting in front of your computer complaining and go into the facility and see for yourself.

The staff there has been nothing but kind to me and my family. I have been to may shelters and NONE complare! They treat their animals wonderfully.
On one of my visits to the Humane Society that everyone is speaking so horribly about, I was speaking with a young lady at the front and in walks a mangled and emaciated dog with its owner. The dog had a tow chain wrapped around its neck as a make shift leash. The owner wanted to bring the dog to the humane society because "I'm tired of hearing him bark" The young lady at the front took the dog and asked for a small donation to help with the cost of caring for the dog, The owner proceeded to say "No! She has cost me enough". I was appalled!
I don't think any of us really know what these employers at the Humane Society see and deal with on a regular basis. Think about it ... Everyday more unwanted, mistreated and abused pets come through their doors and they do for them what no one else has ever done.
If I am correct in saying, I do believe the county taxpayers are only paying for Animal Control Services thru Wicomico County Animal Control. Just like CITY taxpayers are paying for service rendered by CITY animal control: Neither of which is the Humane Society! The Humane Society is a non-profit! They arent there to do animal control, they are there to house and care for the animal. Do some research!
It is despicable to bash people who have nothing to do with this matter simply because you havent done your research. I think everyone sould be complaining to the county council whom is cutting the Animal Control budget and not to the people who have nothing to do with it!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are wrong. When Delmar added its own animal control person the Humane Society said Delmar would no longer be covered by what the county pays. This means that people in Delmar now pay an additional fee for animal control to the human society. In essence they pay twice. Their taxes are paid for the original fee that covers the county and now they pay a fee for to the HUMANE SOCIETY for covering the town.

This isn't the HS's fault exclusively. If the COUNTY would give money back to the towns and the city for services they REFUSE to provide then all would be kosher. However, to state that the Humane Society is totally blameless here is not correct either.

The bottom line is the COUNTY failed to provide animal control in Delmar and Salisbury forcing them to hire their own people. The Humane Society could have just considered both coverd by the county fee because both are located in the county. Fruitland, the smartest of us all, sat back and watched what happened with Delmar and stopped their plans to add animal enforcement. So they get covered by the county fee and don't have to pay an additional amount. These are the FACTS.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Linda

Anonymous said...

What is the # & to to whom will I be calling should an animal need help??

I am so confused about whose job is what---- I wouldn't know who is responsible to get the animal help!

What are the Laws pretaining to what the Humane Society is suppose to do for this County anyhow. Does anyone have a written form on this??? If not where is it located for the Public to see.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post. For those who enjoy bashing the HS, why not help them out by giving a dontation and becoming a member. You could even go further by offering to volunteer a few hours a week. I'm sure that they would appreciate that.
Linda Lugo spoke at a club I belong to. I was really impressed by her presentation and by her knowledge and by her obvious passion for her work and for the animals--so much so that I became a member immediately.
I would suggest that you get away from the computer and go and see for yourself what the Humane Society is all about.

Anonymous said...

I think creating a second director position when money is so tight is foolish. Why does the person in charge of fundraising have to be a director, too?

Anonymous said...

I’m sure they do a great job but the experience I had was not a good one. We had a dog that stayed outside, would not come in, when I would bring him in he would cry and stand at the door to get out. So if you want to tell me not to keep a dog out side save your breath.

Anyway the dog got off his line, was in the yard dog control came, chased to his house pulled for the house with a pole and lasso. This is from the person that I was told that made the call and tried to get the control person to let her put him back on the line. I called and ask what will it cost to come and get him, I was told $30.00, I asked were there any other charges and was lied to with a no! I got there paid the 30.00 and was told then before I could get the dog the control persons would like to see me. There was a fine #130.00 or so, the two jerks laughing saying the dog stays until the fine was paid. Real nice people to work with. Thanks Linda

Anonymous said...

A comment to follow up 11:34s question.

If nothing has changed since 2006 regarding animal control the Wicomico County Charter obligates the County Council to fund animal control for the county.

For more than 20+ years the County has fulfilled its responsibility to provide animal control by contracting the Humane Society to provide that service.

It has been my observation from once being a small part of providing animal cotrol support to the county that this method may be cost effective but much less than what is needed.

It has also been my experience that the staff and volunteers at the H/S under the leader ship of Linda Luga are doing all they can, and more, with what they have to work with.

There is, obviously, much more to this story than this comment. Do not be critical of animal control until you have talked to your elected County Council member.

Retired Sheriff
R.Hunter Nelms

Jaycee said...

Where is the HS located? How would i go about volunteering there? Can anyone help with some info?

Anonymous said...

8:41, good for you, Jaycee! Sorry I can't help you with contact info, but surely someone reading this blog can. Again, thanks for stepping up to the plate.

Anonymous said...

Linda Lugo has you people snowed. If her lips are moving, you can bet she's lying. And for that very reason, I will NEVER set foot in the Wicomico Humane Society again. We'll take our money and our volunteer hours elsewhere. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

If Linda Lugo didn't want to be the director any more, that's fine. Why create another director's position for her? Where is the money coming from when they have to pay two directors?

Anonymous said...

There were many news broadcasts regarding how Ms. Lugo herself stated she was stepping down to focus on fundraising! I recall stories about it on both local news stations! So can some one please explain to me how it is they are paying two directors?

To Mr. Nelms: THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION! As a former county employee, you know first hand how the county works and have given some insight on this situation. I applaud you for sharing your information with us.

In my opinion the people who seem to have a problem with the Humane Society are the misinformated. The same people who believe wrestling is real and they articles in the national enquirer are the truth.

Anonymous said...

6:54
Go to the website for the Humane Society. You will find the Executive Director position is unfilled, and Linda Lugo is the Director of Development. That is two directors when there used to be one.

Anonymous said...

6:54
A new director's position was created for Linda Lugo. She moved from Executive Director to the new position of Director of Development. Because the new Executive Director has not been found yet, Lugo's old position is still open. Check the website if you don't believe a new director's position was made for her.

Anonymous said...

"I'm tired of hearing him bark," followed by, "She has cost me enough." Either the bad owner didn't know the sex of the dog or somebody needs to be a more careful storyteller.