Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, February 12, 2010

Willards Fire Department Calls Salisbury News 911 Line








Yesterday morning Bruce Hunter, (Bruce's Billiards) and I received a call from the Willards Fire department. The new roof on their brand new building was in trouble and they asked if we could get out there with our snow blower and help them clear off the massive amount of snow on their roof.

We dropped everything we were doing to head out to Willards in the hopes of helping them as best as we possibly could. We loaded the snow blower onto the ladder truck and hoisted it onto the roof. Once we got up there I realized the roof was ridged every 3 feet or so and the snow blower was about 2 inches wider than that.

This caused a serious problem but we were able to go to one side of the roof and throw a bunch of snow off one end. Talk about slick! That roof was more dangerous than any of the others we had been on as it was a metal roof with ice on it.

We did what we could but ultimately had to stop because the snow blower would get down to the metal roof and just spin. It started to become more work than shoveling the snow by hand.

Although we couldn't do what we had done in Delmar and Fruitland, we were able to get quite a bit off of one end and make it much lighter for the Firefighters to slide the rest off the roof.

I should add, one of the things I found rewarding was seeing Firefighters coming together from all different areas. We saw this in Delmar and then Willards. They don't have the staff on location to do these big jobs and when they reached out to their brothers and sisters they came from just about everywhere to lend a hand.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job with the fire depts. guys.If you want to see how special the fire depts are in our area go to Blades71.com and check out the wonderful thing they did in this blizzard for their vice president ..Way to go guys..

Anonymous said...

Joe-

I know you must get tired of hearing this - but you are such a great guy! Thanks AGAIN for all that you do for ALL of us...but especially Willards 'cause that's where I'm from! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great job as usual Joe.

Anonymous said...

Joe I have to admit that as much $hit as you stir sometimes, you are a really good guy when it comes down to it. I heard Willards FD was told by their builder Blades Construction(Matt Esham)that is was their fault their new building was on the verge of collapse because they didnt clear the gutters??? or something like that, there was 2 feet of snow and ice up there as I hear it, which I know that all that snow and ice weighs alot but for a building that just got finished shouldn't newer buildings like be built to withstand these types of things?? I am no engineer, but I would think that a building of that size because it's pretty big would be built better than that. During the same conversation I heard about this I heard that Mr.Esham from Blades was called and that he basically told Willards that he really didn't care about their problem and apparently there were other problems with and during construction that Mr.Esham refused to address or correct. I am going to look further into these things because I know of several places in the area that are taking bids from Blades construction to construct new buildings and I am thinking I may make them aware of the shotty service they may get. As for Blades construction I don't think I would have them build my doghouse. But once again awesome job Joe!!!

Orsonwells said...

Leave Blades alone. They are one of our finest contractors on the shore and hold any and all insurance that would cover any any damage that comes down the pike. I have proudly served that company as an employee for 3 of my 20 years on the shore, and back them 100%. They are one of the best, and award- winning contractors on the Eastern Shore.
For anyone to think they would be anything less, shame.